Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer-time!!!!

Summer feels awkward for those not directly involved in the school system.  Besides the break from Mother's Day Out, summer changes the everyday routine very little in the Morlandt house.  The kids still wake up at 7, Tony still goes to work at 6, the laundry still piles up, and the weekends still include Saturday outings and Sunday church.  So why do I long to embrace summer like a giddy school kid?  I want to wear out the RedBox stand renting all the new releases on weeknights, stay up late on FaceBook, lay poolside, or better yet beachside, craft, read silly novels.  I want to eat a cheeseburger at our local burger joint in my flip-flops, swimsuit, and cover-up.  I want to eat my weight in ice cream.  But more than anything I want to stay up really late and sleep in 'til noon. 

Alas, those days are gone.  So what do grown-ups with 9-5 jobs with no vacation (who am I kidding - Tony's job is the furthest from 9-5 you can get and I stay home), who have small children (children who have no concept of "sleeping-in") do with their summers?  How do you embrace the spirit of summer when the everyday gets in the way?  Well, here's how we are managing:

Trips to the Zoo:

{And if daddy is with us we get to ride the train!}

Wagon Rides

{To the iron bridge at the end of the street where we will collect sticks.}
{and throw them into the water}
{We will also collect flowers.  And stick them in mommy's pocket.}

Enjoy the Flowers
{In June I planted this day lily in our backyard.  I love the peach color and the ruffles along the edges of the petals.}
{Flowers on my bedside table from our local farmer's market}

Swim in the Backyard
{in a pool purchased for $7 at a neighborhood garage sale}

{fill and dump.  repeat.}
{then snuggle under towels on the couch while eating a snack and watching an episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates}
Take a Few Day Trips
{Braving the heat to see the Cahaba Lilies}

Eat Cold Treats
{Everyday.  Lime Sherbet with Raspberries}

Learn to Climb Trees

{She did it all by herself. If available, I would have handed her my child-hood copy of Anne of Green Gables - perfect 'up in a tree' reading}

When Bored
{Dress the mild-mannered dog up like a princess}

Take Early Morning Walks to the Library
{Be sure to load your double stroller up with library returns, camera case, purse, and several drinks.  Oh, and make sure the kiddos get in there somewhere too.}
{While out walking, take advantage of free library summer events.  This day was "Hawaiian Ice and Sidewalk Chalk."}


{Do not feel limited to the pavement only.  Marking on face....}
{And hands, allowed.}
{Learn to hopscotch and render your mother speechless as she pictures you a 4th grader}

{When hot, go inside and peruse the princess section}
{Then devour your selections on the ride home}
Learn to Swim

{with glee and without floaties}
{Swim underwater with your "mermaid stroke" and impress your mother}
{Wear cute goggles}
{Then jump in to one-up sister}

Delight in Company
{Paw-Paws are easily hoodwinked into reading long stories. She loves every minute of it.}

And finally, REST

{in unexpected places}


I would trade late nights and lazy mornings any day for the fun we are having this summer.  In just a few weeks we will make our summer pilgramage to South Texas.  No Project 21 this year as we will only be there for two weeks.  Looking forwad to amazing Tex-Mex enchiladas, acres and acres of land, starry night skies, and beautiful family and friends.....

3 comments:

stephilderton said...

As soon as you can, I vote that you get in your beach time by coming to visit Orlando! :D

TT said...

Before leaving Wilsonville, Cory was given a large framed picture of the Cahaba lilies. He never told anyone that he wanted that, but as he says "God is even interested in my silly whims."

MamaMia said...

Summer is the best! "Mean Mommy" mode (you know the one that is always rushing the kids to eat dinner, take a bath and get to bed)gets to take a vacation. ;)

Summer is when the kids can pretend play for hours and I get to eavesdrop on their cute scenarios. It's also when we get take naps all together. So many things we cherish about summer...too many to list.

I've been a terrible blogger and an even worse blog reader...but always love to check in on your guys when I think of it. :) Your family is beautiful!