Friday, July 29, 2011

Still

"One, Two, Three, Still Water.  Quiet Water."

As said by my mother or father from the front seat of the car to their three rowdy children in the back.  A creative attempt at calming the road trip chaos.  Back in those good ol' days there were no car seats (I jest of course, car seats rock for safety.  Not so much for miniature body parts that cannot stay still.) and I'm pretty sure we unbuckled ourselves to pester one another at the end of a long trip.  I vaguely recall laying on the floorboard while the car sped down the highway, my parents none the wiser. 

Nowadays car seats make for still bodies.  Buckled in tightly we cruised across state lines last week into South Texas.  A 16 hour trip split between two days, my children spent most of their time with bodies still, restrained behind two straps and a buckle.  When finally released you can imagine the bedlam.  Jumping on hotel beds, racing around indoor playgrounds, standing up to eat lunch.  They were everything but still water.  Everything but quiet water.  They were movement, action, energy. 


You guessed it.  The prompt was "Still" over at GypsyMama's 5 Minute Friday and I made it just in time.  Typing while the house is still......


2 comments:

Ashley said...

I remember running around in the back of the van while we drove around as a kid! Things have definitely changed :)

Uncle Andrew said...

I had forgotten all about still water, quiet water.