Sunday, July 10, 2011

Words of Worship from the Mouth of a Babe


Sophia is never short on words.  I'm amazed how many words she can fit into one breath.  But there are times when she falls silent and you know she is thinking about something.  The following were said after thoughtful silences. 

"I want God to come back to Earth.  I will give him a special present.  A big ball of play-doh."
{I personally would love to see what God would make with a big ball of play-doh - HELLO PLANET EARTH!}

"I want to show God my special dance with my tip toesies."

"Yesterday morning when I was 2, Jesus was still on the cross.  (Pause)  Momma when I was 2 was Jesus still on the cross?"

(When talking about how she behaved at the ice cream store when Vincent spilled his ice cream on her) "I did not complain like Jesus on the cross did not complain.  I'm being like the Lord!"

"Why does God let bad storms happen?"

"Why did God punish Jesus instead of us?"

A theology degree would have come in handy when she asked the last two questions.   She's trying to understand, connect the dots between what she learns about God at home, at church, and at Bible Study Fellowship. She looks for Him everywhere, frequently commenting on how large a building is then following with the statement, "God is bigger than that building." There are times I respond with silence too because I'm afraid to answer. Afraid I will mis-represent, confuse her, make God appear smaller than He is. It's a colossal responsibility. We are her world and what we say carries so much weight. So we answer prayerfully remembering our preacher's admonition that children will learn by what we say but more by what we do.  

She's learning. We're teaching. He's listening.

2 comments:

TT said...

i want to hug her so tight. you and tony are amazing parents!!!!

Wendy said...

My mom says when my grandmother died when I was 2 that I asked all kinds of deep questions about Heaven, etc. When she didn't know how to answer, she would tell me that I would just have to ask God one day when I saw Him face to face. So, when you don't know how to answer Sophia, you can tell her that she can ask God when she sees Him one day. :)