"Pretty as as pretty does, Sarah." I can still hear my parents repeating this firm admonition in response to any compliment on my appearance. A not so subtle reminder that outward appearances matter little compared to how you behave. That to give too much attention to outward appearances at the expense of developing your character is foolhardy indeed.
So it is with this background that I approach my own daughter's fixation with all things outward. More specifically, clothes and physical beauty. I marvel at the capacity of a little one to recognize, appreciate, and long for things of beauty. At times I find this pursuit amusing, at times infuriating.
As you grow Sophia I would like to emphasize two sayings on the subject of outward appearances. Borrowing from my mother, "Pretty as as pretty does," I would like to teach you that the way you treat others, the words you use, and the manner in which you carry yourself is a form of beauty. For what is of value is found in your heart. "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."(1 Samuel 16:7). As you grow may you learn that your beauty is "that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight" (1 Peter 3:4). Even now your inward beauty shines as you kiss the "boo boos" of every person you come in contact with, sweetly touch every baby's head, sing to your brother when he is crying, and solicit family dance time after most evening meals.
{edited and re-posted from the archives}
So, I spent about five minutes editing and re-posting this piece on beauty from the archives of our blog. Will you join GypsyMama and write for 5 minutes on "beauty" today?

1 comment:
I love this. What a great reminder of things to instill in little girls.
Post a Comment