We participated with Vincent in a family dedication service on Sunday, November 15th. What a special day for our family. I must admit I was a little nervous about standing in front of the large church with a wiggly 5 month old and a talkative 2 year old. And yes, Vincent wiggled and of course Sophia chatted but as Tony summed it up, "Would you expect less of the Morlandt family?"
It was a special, meaningful service that began with the congregation reciting Psalm 100:5: "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." His faithfulness. All generations. I was struck by how meaningful this particular scripture was on the day we were dedicating our son. What peace it gives me when I ponder the truth that He will remain faithful even into the next generation - my children's generation. That the God I have known in my life to be not only faithful but also the perfect father, offering unconditional love in every circumstance, would remain so for my children. That no matter what happens in this world, what tragedies with all their pain, what triumphs with all their snares, come their way He will be the same.
Vincent, I pray for you the knowledge of Jesus as your personal Savior, the assurance that you have a Heavenly Father, and the presence of the Holy Spirit in your life to guide your decisions. And although I pray for you many happy, fulfilling relationships, I know that the one relationship that matters for eternity is your relationship with Jesus. But not just for eternity's sake but also for now. Because Christ is the only one who will truly satisfy. Because no matter how wonderful the people in your life are, they will disappoint you - we are just broken, faulty humans. I cannot imagine anyone loving you more than your father and I do and yet I know that even we will fail you at times. But God never will. As is stated in 2 Timothy 2:13 even "if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself."
In closing, little Vincent, I hold you close on my hip, kiss your head and try my best to protect you from every danger - placing my hand on your warm tummy so you won't fall off the changing table, cushioning you all around with pillows during play-time, checking on you in the morning if you've slept in too long. You are wholly dependent. As you grow physically you will grow independently away from your father and me - as it should be. But I pray that as you grow in your adult independence, you will grow in dependence on Christ. That you will be able to say, like David in Psalm 73:23-24: "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory."
1 comment:
Love it! I need to get on the ball with Judah's. At least before he is 1! Maybe y'all can come?:)
Post a Comment