Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Daddy's Home!!!

Our little cottage was blessed the last few weeks with Tony - not just Tony in the evenings and one day on the weekend but Tony there when we all wake up, Tony there for lunch, and Tony there during nap-time which means quality time with mommy. Due to Tony's current medical rotation we are seeing so much more of him and for that I am very grateful.

My favorite thing when we are all together? Breakfast - Morlandt style - everyone cooking, singing, and eating. Last week we had three such mornings together. Morning #1 - Pioneer Biscuits (These are the biscuits I was raised on - made from Pioneer Baking Mix - a San Antonio original) smothered with Mama Jean's homemade jam served alongside Apple Maple Chicken Sausage. Morning #2 - Pancakes - a Tony specialty (This was a tradition in Tony's family, with his dad making pancakes, flipping them in the air to an audience of mesmerized, wide eyed children) served alongside leftover Apple Maple Chicken Sausage. Somehow Tony manages to never burn his pancakes - a skill I have yet to acquire. Finally, Morning #3: Beignets - a New Orleans original. I buy the mix at our local supermarket, fry them up, and dust them with powdered sugar - definitely the least healthy morning of the 3. But oh so good. All we needed was the chicory coffee. Sophia says it best, "More fancy donuts, please!"

Yes, I think I like breakfast at home. During the pre-children era Tony and I would eat out for Saturday morning breakfast - our favorite spots in San Antonio? Big Apple Bagels, Magnolia House (seriously, the pancakes and the coffee - truly amazing), and Las Palapas (breakfast taco heaven - bean and cheese, potato egg and bacon with lots of homemade salsa, yes please) and after our move - Demetris (crunchy french toast), The Original Pancake House (pecan pancakes, please), and Crestline Bagel. All fabulous, but nothing compares to syrup sticky toddler hands and hair that smells sweet all day. Cooking alongside my hubby with a baby on my hip. Listening to the great Johnny Cash, occasionally stopping for a little two step and smooch. All in my pajamas and bare feet. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Now, the clean-up that's another story.
Daddy always has a little helper. Ana Sophia on a step ladder with her own mini pancake batter:



And buddy, by the time we finish cooking and you have devoured your yogurt, you are ready for one of these. Sorry, no pancakes or fancy donuts yet!

1 comment:

C and G said...

So fun!! We need to have breakfast with you guys!! sounds delicious.