Friday, January 23, 2009

Baby Gadgets

When Sophia was 6 weeks old I wrote this post and this post about baby gadgets. A few friends back in San Antonio shared that they enjoyed this post and used it when they went to register. Well, I'm here with a few more recommendations with the hope that you will find them useful. Although, if you scroll down you will see I have an ulterior motive. I would really like YOU to give ME some suggestions. But first let me start with a few of my (and Sophia's) favorite things:


1. Books/DVDs/CDs
  • As a speech therapist I must recommend this book for every parent: The New Language of Toys by Sue Schwartz PhD and Joan E Heller Miller Ed. M. It was recommended but not required reading in graduate school (which meant I never read it). I recently checked it out at the library and was amazed at all the great information. It was written for parents of children with special needs but is applicable for all children in my opinion. It has developmental checklists and recommended toys for different ages. It also gives you dialogues to go along with each toy. My favorite resource is a list of recommended children's books by age.
  • BabyFaith DVDs - Yes, I know, television is not recommended for children under the age of 2 by the The American Academy of Pediatrics but let's be realistic here. Sophia was given 2 of the DVDs in this series for her first birthday. We were hesitant to pop them in but let me just say, there is so much joy in watching your baby take joy in the characters on this DVD series. She laughs, talks, and jumps up and down with excitement. Now she goes over to the T.V., touches the screen, and requests "movie, movie" over and over again. In my opinion, everything in moderation. And it's nice to have the time to finish up the dinner preparations. Quickly pick up the house. Get the bath ready. Just have 20 minutes to get something done. Another plus: the music on this series is pleasant, hymns mostly. It will not drive you crazy! My friend Taryn also recommends this series: BabyPraise. She says the music is really calming before nap time.
  • Martha Steward Living: Baby Sleepytime CD - I LOVE this CD. I think it might be out of print though. I checked a copy out from the library. It's very parent friendly with artists including Alison Krauss and the Barenaked Ladies. It even has that really sad song from Dumbo: Baby Mine sung by Alison Krauss. You know the one where Dumbo's mom is in the giant cage, rocking and singing to Dumbo through the bars. Why do Disney movies have to be so sad?
  • Goodnight Guitar CD by Ray Penney - also pleasant to parents' ears


2. Toys
There are lots of great toys out there but these are the two we could not do without:
  • Leapfrog Learn and Groove Musical Table - we bought this toy at a garage sale right around the time Sophia was pulling up (6-7 months old) and she has used it every since. We have replaced the batteries no few than 5 times!
  • Little Touch Leap Pad - It looks like this is being discontinued and replaced with MyFirst Leap Pad, which I'm sure will be even better. Sophia was 10 months when I bought this. She is still not able to operate it by herself but enjoys it immensely. Good interactive language too.
3. It just makes life easier...
  • Baby Einstein Table Mats - These were originally recommended to me by Taryn. I do not leave home without these babies. They save us from icky restaurant tables, germs from complete strangers, and bowls/plates thrown on the ground in public places. Just stick them on the table, throw the food on top, and let em' eat.
  • The Kitchen Sink - Sophia may be 8 years old and still taking a bath in our kitchen sink. I'm not kidding. We have a trough sink and I see no reason, other than pure discomfort when she's too big, for moving her out of it. I just disinfect, rinse, fill it up, stick on a no slip mat, and go. It forces me to put the dishes in the dishwasher every night and I don't have to break my back bending over.
Well, that is all I can think of for now. I wish I had home remedy suggestions like how to make your own diaper rash cream or how to keep your floor spick and span during dinner time but I'm not that creative. I mostly believe in buying the beautiful inventions of really smart people. Of course, with the economy like it is, I might have to start re-thinking that philosophy.
Now, here's where I need your help (if you've hung in there and have read this far). I need some suggestions. With Baby #2 on the way I'm in search for the following items and would really like your input. If you have any thoughts at all: COMMENT. I would love to hear what you think.
1. Jogging Stroller - We are in the market for a good jogging stroller. Keep in mind that we will walk the wheels off this little baby! I even walk to the grocery store (4 miles round trip) sometimes and Tony will occasionally take Sophia on a long run. We currently have a good single jogging stroller but are looking for a double jogging stroller (although if your favorite is a single, I'm sure we could find it in a double).
2. Nursing shawl thing - I'm not sure what you call these (although there are some funny slang words for them which I will not post because my brothers/grandfather/father would kill me) but they are shawls that you wear for discreet nursing. I did the blanket thing with Sophia but would like something more substantial that I won't have to fight.
3. Baby Slings - We used the Bjorn with Sophia and will use it again with the next baby I'm sure but I was hoping to get some suggestions on carriers that are a little easier on your back and allow for different baby holding positions.
4. Child Development Books- Are there any child development/child rearing/child discipline books that you could not live without?
5. Boys' Clothing - What are your favorite brands for boy's clothing?
Thanks for your help. And again I emphasize, if you read this blog and usually do not comment or if you comment frequently and have a suggestion, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

White's Journey to Taiwan said...

Hey girl!! If you find a double jogger that you like and want to sell your single, let us know!! Once we bring our sweet girl home, I will want to go for jogs myself. So, a good single jogger is in order for us :-)

It is such fun to plan, isnt' it?

The Hoppers said...

Go with the BOB jogger! I think we are going to break down and buy a double one. I am your sling girl! We will talk. No clue on child development books, but Lawson and I have talked about doing a Growing Kids God's Way small group through church. As for boy clothes, I had to try to find stuff that wasn't too girly.:) Loved the GAP and old Navy. I usually just hit the consignment sales. Speaking of that I got two e-mails already for Kids' Wear Plus and Trinity. And we are all about IKEA. I will call!

MamaMia said...

Hi Sarah! So excited for you guys...a boy in addition to that sweet girl of yours!

I'll be of little help here...couldn't ever do jog strollers because I NEED to move my upper body when running and holding on to a stroller doesn't allow that. Didn't nurse in public, even after the third because I just can't latch a child when I can't see what's going on...ridiculous, I know. Never did a sling...Bjorn worked so well for me, but I'm pretty tolerant of aches and soreness. As far as books...I always thought Love and Logic was excellent when teaching and have heard their parenting versions are great.

I'll check back soon.

Alan and Ashley said...

Sarah - I was catching up on your posts and saw this one... I used this nursing shawl http://www.bellies-beyond.com/shop/index.php?cPath=10 and bought this wrap carrier not long ago and wish I would have had it fron the begining - it really evens out the load, http://www.mobywrap.com/.

I am also reading Shepherding a Child's Heart (by Tedd Trip), recommended by Mandi Tucker (from our group a few years back) and so far it has been quite insightful.

Take Care! :)