Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why I Love the Library and Other Thoughts on the Weather


What does the library have to do with weather, you ask? Glad you asked. The library is the perfect place to go in all kinds of weather - when it's too hot, too cold, overcast, sunny, windy, rainy (am I starting to sound like Bubba's monologue on what you can do with shrimp on Forrest Gump?). I seriously love the library. Before we had Sophia and when we were completely broke (that's not changed too much :)), Tony and I would go to Barnes and Noble and look at books for hours. Now that we have entered babyland Barnes and Noble is no longer that attractive - mostly because we would have to purchase all the books that Sophia either mouthed or drooled on. Fortunately the closest library is only a 2 mile round trip walk from our house. Here are my reasons for loving my local library: puzzles, novel toys for Sophia, fish, birds, tons of other kids running around making all kinds of trouble categorizing Sophia's puzzle piece scavenger hunt as a minor offense, books, books, and more books, free DVD rentals, parenting books for free, Sophia smiling and saying "hi" to complete strangers, books, books, and more books. Just so you know, I also associate libraries with maintaining your sanity with a newborn (just get out of the house!), homelessness (if I was homeless this is where I would spend my waking hours), and interesting people I would like to befriend (librarians are just intriguing to me and I would like one as a friend someday).

Here are some pictures from a trip to the library a few months ago:

Checking out the birds - Why are they so scared of me?

Caution: wind blown hair at the toy table!

Checking out my library book for the week: Elmo!

This last Friday Tony, Sophia, and I bundled up and headed to one of the public libraries across town. We had the best time - I think I checked out 8 books. Sophia played with her daddy on the computer and stole books from an innocent 6 year old. I intervened, Sophia cried, and I began to wonder "is she old enough for the concept of sharing?" Better figure that one out before the next baby.

Bundled up and ready to go


Playing on the computer with mommy

Other weather related events. One advantage of really cold winter weather is really cool winter sales. I headed to Janie and Jack on Saturday to hit their winter clearance sale. And this time I was buying for the little mister, not Miss Sophia (although, I couldn't resist - I bought her the sweetest lace trimmed onesie). Here's a picture of one of the things I found for the little mister:
Great deals!

And finally the seriously cold, cold spell broke this morning, rising above freezing. The dogs were happy, they no longer had to stay cooped up inside - remember they are shaved to the skin and I don't want PETA showing up at my door. And after Sophia's afternoon nap she and I headed out for one of our long afternoon walks. The usual route - down to Cool Beans to buy the mocha that would inevitably cancel out all the calories I was trying to burn by walking in the first place. As I walked back home, checking out the usual houses, I thought to myself: "I'm Carl Ray's granddaughter." I, like my grandfather, feel the need to check on the neighborhood each week. For 45 years or so, he's taken his small plane into the air once or twice a week to check on the neighboring farms and towns. And before touching down, he would be sure to buzz our house, resulting in grandkids running outside waving frantically. On a much smaller scale, I feel the need to walk the same route each week checking on the construction projects in the neighborhood, the local stores, and any new baby bows on the front lawn. I'm glad I married Tony who forces me to venture down a different road sometimes. Well, Sophia and I made it back home and I managed to only spill about 1/4 of my coffee drink - a record!

Here's hoping you are staying warm and cozied up in this winter weather! If you're starting to feel a little stir crazy, head to your local library. The magazines are a great place to start.

No comments: