Further thoughts on the first six weeks of life:
3. Manna - Bear with me as I try to explain this thought. When Sophia was three weeks old our help was going home - Mama Jean left after week two and Mimi and Grandpa Miles were leaving at the end of week three. To be honest I became anxious. I began to worry about small tasks. How was I going to take a shower? What about giving her a bath - could I do that on my own? How about sleep? How would Tony manage to meet the demands of residency and still have enough energy for Sophia and I in the evenings? Knowing that God does not want me to worry, I began to think about His provision in scripture and I immediately thought of the grumbling Israelites roaming the desert in Exodus Chapter 16. If I was an Israelite during this time I would have eaten maggot filled manna because I worry too much about tomorrow. God only gave the Israelites enough for one day, causing them to have faith He would provide what they needed the next day. It seems to me, that God consistently asks us to rely on Him day by day. Jesus didn't say "Give us today our weekly bread," but instead "Give us today our daily bread. (Matthew 6:11)" Later Jesus states, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34)" So I'm here to tell you He will provide what you need each day, from sleep to food to encouragement. Just take each day, one day at a time and pray, pray, pray.
4. Pray specifically - This goes hand in hand with #3. I used to think that some prayers were too small for God, too petty. Yet as Sophia's due date approached I began to pray for every worry, from the dogs adjusting well to her arrival to the big things like her health and happiness. It's so neat to see how God answered those very specific prayers, like "Please let her be born on any day but Halloween," and "Please keep Greta and Bella from going into shock at her arrival."
5. 4th trimester - This thought came from The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, M.D. You just think you're done counting weeks when the baby is born! Yet, I am amazed at her growth week by week and really day by day. And during this first three months of life, I see it as my job to help Sophia adjust to Earth. Sometimes it's just a little much for her and she has to cry or sleep. And all she needs from her parents are arms and sweet words to comfort her.
6. Play - I suddenly realized at about week four, that even a newborn can enjoy play. I was so busy the first three weeks just keeping up with feeding, changing dirty diapers, and sleeping that I forgot to spend time playing. But week four arrived and we started exercising her legs with the bicycle move, week five we started rattle tracking. It's fun and you will be amazed at what they can do at such an early age!
7. Go outside - Everyday!
Well, that basically sums up my words of "wisdom" for the first six weeks of life. I hope somebody finds them useful! - SJM
No comments:
Post a Comment