Friday, December 21, 2007

Neighborhood Coffee

Those who knew me when I attended Baylor, knew about my obsession with Common Grounds, Baylor's coffee hotspot. This old bungalow house turned trendy coffee shop was the meeting place for friends, the study hall for late night crammers, and the after date drink stop for those not quite ready to go home.



Well, when we moved to San Antonio I pined over the loss of Common Grounds. San Antonio has no shortage of Starbucks but where could I find a locally owned coffee shop? Needless to say, I never found one (with the exception of a few in Stone Oak that were too far from our house to really enjoy). You can imagine my delight when we moved here and discovered a coffee shop only a mile away from our house. While on maternity leave, I have bundled little Sophia in the Bjorn and walked there almost on a daily basis.



I love being a little fly on the wall observing the different groups that come in. Right after Sophie was born college students crowded the shop, with books, notebook paper, and computers sprawled across every table. After finals were over, the place was empty with the exception of mother groups that came in every morning around 10 a.m. with their strollers and sibling toddlers in tow. This was a louder bunch, children running around drinking hot chocolate and mothers discussing everything from sleeping habits to the latest gossip in town. All very thin, very athletic, and with no make-up to speak of. It's fun to see moms like this - sort-of reminds me of those pictures in National Geographic of the tribal women banding together in their care for the young - yet with more clothes and trendy frothy drinks.



Last week I stopped by the coffee shop in the afternoon and the place was overrun with pre-teens on their way home from school. Now that's fun to watch. Outside, a group of boys were throwing rocks into the street and feeling oh so Evil Knevil as they ran to retrieve them. Of course, with the group of boys was the one token girl. Remember how in junior high there was always one or two girls who hung out with the boys? Personally, I was jealous of those girls. Inside Cool Beans, girls and boys formed separate groups but still remained very interested in eachother. And over in the corner, trying to go unnoticed were two mothers making sure nothing too outrageous happened. Pre-teens - so funny and so awkward!



It's funny, I can relate to all three of these groups. I was the student cramming for finals. I'm currently one of the young mothers. And someday I suppose I will be one of the vigilent mothers. But based on Sophia's good looks (that's a proud mom talking) I will have to sit a little closer to keep an extra close eye on her.



So if you come to visit us, pack a pair of walking shoes because a trip to the coffee shop is on the agenda. I recommend their house coffee or the White Christmas and don't forget the Tiramisu!

2 comments:

TT said...

Sounds like a wonderful place. Drinking coffee, chatting, and people watching. Count me in!
Peter

Brian Gottschalk said...

I had the opportunity to spend a few days with Sarah, Tony and Sophie. We went more than once to Cool Beans and I enjoyed the small town atmosphere of the place. I was enchanted by my Sophie, such a small bundle of beauty who completely won me over. I so enjoyed observing the life of my daughter, son-in-law, and grandaughter. What a busy, fulfilling and joyous time for them. I guess I most enjoyed just being quietly with my daughter and realizing what a fine woman, wife and mother she has become.
Dad