Sweet Sophia turned 6 weeks old today. With this small birthday she's become more alert, staying awake for hours on end, looking around and starting to smile. She resembles her daddy more every day. With each day that she grows she teaches me new things. A friend once said to Tony and I "Parenting is the hardest thing you will ever do but the most rewarding." I remember smiling, shaking my head, all the while having no clue what was in store for me. During the past six weeks these words provided comfort; acknowledging how hard this job really is but emphasizing how wonderful it is at the same time.
For posterity's sake, I would like to share a few things I've learned in the last six weeks. Maybe it will ring true for some new mother, like my friend's words did for me. The title says wisdom but wisdom is probably the wrong word. Most of these thoughts are simple, just reminders for myself when we are ready for baby #2 (God willing) or for anyone else who is interested in the thoughts of a new mother at 2 a.m. in the morning. It's funny how when you ask seasoned mothers about those first few weeks of life they can't remember or they share memories of their baby's habits at six months of age. It's God's sweet gift of maternal amnesia - you don't remember the difficult labor or the exhaustion of the first few months - just that first smile - or so it seems to me. Well, before my maternal amnesia sets in, here are a few things I've learned during the first six weeks of life:
1. 2 weeks - I'm not going to elaborate on this one but if you decide to nurse, give it 2 weeks before giving up.
2. Gadgets - These are a few items Tony and I found especially helpful in the last 6 weeks:
a. Kiddopatamus swaddle blankets - These are amazing for calming a newborn and much easier than swaddling the baby yourself.
b. Exercise ball - I'm talking about those huge exercise balls you find at the gym. You can purchase them at Target and they are great back relievers when you can't stand and bounce the baby for another second. Sit down on the ball with baby and bounce away. It's also
a great workout.
c. Baby Bjorn - wonderful little invention. Sophia practically lives in this right now. Great tool to soothe a crying baby.
d. Comfy rocker - when decorating the nursery I would not recommend short changing the rocker. I have spent hours in our rocker, most of them asleep with Sophia in my arms. I'm so thankful we splurged on a huge, comfortable rocker.
For posterity's sake, I would like to share a few things I've learned in the last six weeks. Maybe it will ring true for some new mother, like my friend's words did for me. The title says wisdom but wisdom is probably the wrong word. Most of these thoughts are simple, just reminders for myself when we are ready for baby #2 (God willing) or for anyone else who is interested in the thoughts of a new mother at 2 a.m. in the morning. It's funny how when you ask seasoned mothers about those first few weeks of life they can't remember or they share memories of their baby's habits at six months of age. It's God's sweet gift of maternal amnesia - you don't remember the difficult labor or the exhaustion of the first few months - just that first smile - or so it seems to me. Well, before my maternal amnesia sets in, here are a few things I've learned during the first six weeks of life:
1. 2 weeks - I'm not going to elaborate on this one but if you decide to nurse, give it 2 weeks before giving up.
2. Gadgets - These are a few items Tony and I found especially helpful in the last 6 weeks:
a. Kiddopatamus swaddle blankets - These are amazing for calming a newborn and much easier than swaddling the baby yourself.
b. Exercise ball - I'm talking about those huge exercise balls you find at the gym. You can purchase them at Target and they are great back relievers when you can't stand and bounce the baby for another second. Sit down on the ball with baby and bounce away. It's also
c. Baby Bjorn - wonderful little invention. Sophia practically lives in this right now. Great tool to soothe a crying baby.
d. Comfy rocker - when decorating the nursery I would not recommend short changing the rocker. I have spent hours in our rocker, most of them asleep with Sophia in my arms. I'm so thankful we splurged on a huge, comfortable rocker.
e. Meals - we are still living off of frozen casseroles Mimi and Mama Jean made. I also froze several casseroles during that last month of pregnancy. Bringing food to new families is one of the best gifts you can give. There were nights that we would not have eaten until 9 p.m. if we didn't have a meal brought to us!
f. Powerful Prayers for Your Baby by Heather Harpham Kopp. Great book of prayers to pray when you are up in the middle of the night or when you need encouragement - there's nothing as powerful as praying God's promises.
g. The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, M.D. -DVD with great baby soothing strategies - his suggestions really work!
I'm a little long-winded tonight. I have a few more thoughts but will publish them in another post. - SJM
4 comments:
Yes, thankfully you will have amnesia before too long! Enjoy it though. They tend to do gross things when they are older, like pick their noses, look for a place to put it, then decide what the heck it can't taste that bad! No amnesia for that. I love you sis!
Too funny! I wonder if mom has amnesia about the walls in Mexia being covered with those things we did not find edible? - SJM
Merry Christmas from Houston.
As you guys are equally aware, there are few things better than Christmas Eve trauma call and overnight at the hospital. Thank you for enriching that experience with the privalege of checking out the blog - it really is wonderful. You guys' words and insights are awesome and I feel like I am next door again getting to hang out and talk with you both. I also feel as though I am getting to know little Ana Sophia.
I unfortunately lack any comparable wisdom to give in return - maybe some day I will be able to return the favor and maybe even after tonight as I am sure to get a few modern-day prophets in the E.R. - most likely around 12am or later directly as I just get to sleep. Parenthood seems unimaginably special and wonderful and it is great to witness even if it is only through your words - powerful words. Keep the blogs coming. Take care, keep the spirit, and keep the faith.
Garrett
Thanks for inviting me to your blog- I love the pictures- Sophie is soo beautiful!
I, too, have found this motherhood amnesia to be true. Even with baby number three I, at times, feel like a new mother all over again! :)
Post a Comment