Severe weather alerts from Alabama popped up on my Facebook feed all day on Wednesday. I notified our tenants to head to the interior bathroom and place a mattress over their head should a tornado take its destructive path down our neighborhood streets.
I know fear. It's an enemy of mine. I remember it as a child, sitting in a bathtub with my mother and brothers, a mattress over our heads as we sang, "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." My dad raced around the house looking out the windows for dark funnel clouds. He wasn't there in the bathtub and that made me most afraid.
I was afraid on April 27, 2011 as we hunkered in a closet in my mother's house, hiding from the tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa and was now headed our way. We fed the children Easter candy while I wondered if a tree falling on the roof would give us any advance notice, or if we would be caught off guard, unable to hunker over the children.
I fear most when I am least in control.
*****
I guess this is a Debbie Downer post but alas, it's what came to mind when I read "afraid." Join me in writing for 5 minutes over at Lisa-Jo's blog?

2 comments:
i grew up in tornado alley... they called it.
your post brought some very, very memories to mind.
it is super scary to lose control... or to never have it to begin with.
I'd say is it a super reality post that I can only relate to by experience two hurricanes in the last two years and a wicked storm two nights ago. It is your recalling of what you did - sing and distract with candy - that is my take away. Notes for the next time, so to speak!
Post a Comment