Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Welcome to Florida - Let's Visit the ER

We moved four weeks ago.  So much has happened in such a short time....

We arrived in Florida on New Year's Eve with all the jitters and excitement that comes with moving into a new home.  Our rental home has a cheery, yellow living room and a bright green play room.  I set to work at unpacking boxes, eager to set up home.  It wasn't long before everything came to a halt.

{Moving in!}
 
Before leaving Alabama, the kiddos came down with a nasty cold.  Vincent was the worst, with a fever and ear infection.  Sophia developed a small cough but overall fared well, as she usually does.  A few days before the movers were scheduled to arrive, Luisa experienced a severe coughing fit.  Short, little coughs that grew in intensity until she appeared to be choking.  She turned bright red, eyes clearly in distress.  To be blunt, it freaked me out.  I immediately scheduled a doctor's appointment for both Vincent and Luisa.  Our pediatrician attributed Luisa's cough to post-nasal drip and said both kiddos appeared to be suffering from a virus.  The movers came and went, Vincent started to feel better, and Luisa experienced no more coughing fits.  Until we arrived in Florida. 

Only a few days after moving, Luisa's coughing fits increased in frequency and intensity, with bouts occurring 6-7 times a day. With each coughing fit I would hold her, trying to remain calm but inwardly panicking because she appeared to be choking and I was afraid she would stop breathing.  We did not immediately take her to the doctor since she wasn't running a fever and was continuing to eat well and smile.  A few days went by and the cough continued until one night I knew something was wrong.  An urgency laid on my heart to take her to the doctor as soon as possible.  I stayed up with Luisa all night praying she did not have what I suspected - whooping cough.  I even filmed one of her episodes to show the doctor the next morning. 

So only 5 days after arriving in Florida we found ourselves in the ER.  Upon hearing Luisa's symptoms, the local pediatrician (recommended by our landlords) asked us to go to the ER for further testing.  After showing the ER doctor Luisa's coughing video she ordered tests for RSV and pertussis (whooping cough) and a chest X-Ray.  Now I will be transparent with you.  There was a time in my life that I struggled greatly with anxiety.  God has worked in my heart since then and I've learned to trust Him, claiming His promises to be true.  As a result my anxiety has decreased over the years.  Yet when the ER doctor watched the video and responded with, "This looks like pertussis," I immediately began to worry, fearing the worst possible outcome.  The results for RSV came back positive.  Before we left the ER she was given an antibiotic to treat pertussis on the slim chance that she had both pertussis and RSV.  We were to return to the ER in 2 days for a follow-up and for the pertussis test results.  The next 48 hours were difficult.  I felt completely helpless as Luisa's body was overcome by coughing fits that would sometimes last as long as five minutes.  Yet I was also grateful that this illness was an anomaly, that otherwise she is a very healthy baby. 


On Saturday we returned to the ER to hear the wonderful news that Luisa was negative for pertussis. The doctor then listened to her lungs.  A "crackly" sound to her lungs caused the doctor to order a repeat chest x-ray.  Only one parent was allowed with Luisa.  I asked Tony to go so that he could review the X-Ray film.  While they were gone I sat in the small ER room thanking God for the negative pertussis results.  I felt great relief.  Imagine my surprise when the ER doctor came through the door and with great seriousness stated, "I'm sorry guys but the X-Ray does not look good.  She has severe bacterial pneumonia.We are going to have to admit her to the hospital."  I felt sick to my stomach as she then proceeded to go through every worst case scenario of this diagnosis.  At one point I actually stopped her and said, "You are scaring me."  This didn't faze her a bit.  Looking to Tony's face for reassurance, I noted his growing frustration.   After the doctor left the room Tony turned to me and said, "I really don't think it's as bad as she says it is.  Let's go upstairs and we will get a second opinion." 

Sure enough, two doctors confirmed Tony's suspicion, Luisa did have pneumonia but it wasn't severe and it wasn't uncommon for RSV to develop into pneumonia in small infants.  She would need to be monitored for 24 hours to establish that during the coughing fits her oxygen levels stayed within the normal range.  A doctor was in the room when she had one of her coughing spells.  He agreed that it looked a lot like pertussis.  He wanted her to complete the antibiotics for pertussis even though the results were negative.  She was started on another antibiotic for the pneumonia.  She was also given a shot of a different antibiotic but only after they blew two veins trying to put in an IV.  Luisa was bruised and exhausted.  I was worn-out and fearful.  Her oxygen levels stayed high all night, even during her coughing episodes.  We were released the next morning with antibiotics to treat the pneumonia.  Within two days the coughing fits were completely gone.

{Jean Jean helped the kiddos plan a "welcome home" party for Luisa.  Note the homemade streamers, balloons, and cupcakes.  Both kiddos were worried for their baby sister.}

When people hear about Luisa's illness they immediately say, "Wow!  Right in the middle of moving?!?!  Did you even have a doctor?"  No and we only knew two acquaintances to call for advice.  Yet, we never felt alone.  God works through people and God's people surrounded us with prayer and support.  Our Sunday School back home in Alabama prayed for us, sent us text messages, called us and surrounded us with their love even though we were hundreds of miles away.  My childhood church prayed.  Family prayed.  And we truly never felt alone.  Through it all Jean Jean was with us.  Making meals.  Watching Sophia and Vincent.  Holding things together.  A BSF member of my class here in Florida even brought a meal over.

 In the scheme of things, Luisa's illness was a self-contained, common virus that most children experience without complication.  I am grateful that Luisa is a healthy baby, that she does not struggle to breath on a daily basis.  These words come to mind:  "Count your blessings.  Name them one by one.  Count your blessings, see what God has done!"  We are blessed in so many ways.  Yet even knowing this, my old enemy, "fear," was lurking around, taunting me, worrying me during this ordeal.  And when I say "fear" I am not referring to healthy fear that spurs one on to action but rather paralyzing, worst-case scenario fear.  I called my BSF teaching leader in Alabama and asked her to pray for Luisa and also for my fear.  In her prayer she claimed the truth of perfect love driving out fear (1 John 4:18).  On the heels of her prayer and Luisa's illness we studied this scripture in BSF: "Do not be afraid, Abram.  I am your shield, your very great reward. (Genesis 15:1),"  The meaning of "shield" in this context includes God's sovereignty.  So God is our shield and in His sovereignty he allows certain things to happen in our lives.  He also prevents things from happening.  But no matter what happens in a day we know that it passed through God, our shield.  And since God loves me perfectly then I can trust that even if my worst fears came true, it passed through the loving hands of my Father first.  He will redeem it and work it for His good (Romans 8:28).  When I trust Him, His perfect love drives out my fear.

It was amazing to see how quickly Luisa recovered from her illness, thanks to all the prayers and the work of antibiotics (modern medicine is God's grace, for sure).  She turned 3 months old last week.  She smiles and giggles, delighting us all.  Thank you to everyone who prayed for Luisa.  I want to pay it forward and pray for you too.  And bring you meals.  And send you encouraging words.  When you are loved in word and deed you desire to do the same....

No comments: