{Gathering the morning "snack"}
Everyday I wake to my youngest crying from the other room. Everyday he rests on my lap, snuggled in right below my chin on the couch. We open the blinds, and place the the morning "snack" in front of us. Sometimes Cheerios, sometimes graham crackers, sometimes grapes. And then we turn on "Curious George." Everyday I worry less and less that the hour of morning TV will rot his brain. Everyday I cherish more and more the opportunity to snuggle him close and smell his hair before he is off and running for the day. Everyday a few bits of that morning snack fall out of the bowl undetected and slip hidden beneath the couch cushions. Everyday I vacuum up those pieces. Well no, not everyday. Sometimes not even weekly.
Everyday she wakes up wanting to play some silly game, burying her head under the pillow like Cinderella - wanting us to be the birdies to drag away the pillowcase. Everyday she joins us on the couch for another 1/2 hour of "George" or a little "Sesame Street". Everyday we laugh at the characters.
Everyday I sit beside them or they sit atop my lap and we begin the day with one another. Everyday I steal kisses. I stroke their hair. I breathe in their scent. Everyday they grow a little taller. Everyday they grow more articulate, more mature. Everyday is a day closer to mornings without "George" or "Sesame Street" or crumbs falling below our pajama legs. So everyday I will cherish, hug them tighter to my chest, and laugh. Laugh at their morning antics. Taking it slow. Staying in our pajamas for far too long. I won't regret it. And those crumbs? I won't regret those either. They're just dusty, colorful reminders of time together, time enjoyed.
{Vincent with "Gus," mommy with coffee}
"Everyday" is the Five Minute Friday prompt over at GypsyMama. Jump on over, read a few of the links, and link up too. Fun. Fun.


4 comments:
love this post! I can so relate as I have three little ones who are growing all too fast..loved when you wrote you no longer worry that an hour of tv will rot his brain! YES..I can relate. So eloquently put. Thanks so much for posting. Visiting from Gypsy Mama.
Sarah, you have frozen these moments with your children so beautifully. Time slowed down just enough for me while reading that I felt like I was sitting there with you. These are the moments of grace we are meant to stop and notice. Lovely.
What a beautiful morning together! I have those crumbs too. I might vacuum them every other month. Maybe. :)
I love this. so so sweet! love the little moments.
Post a Comment