Monday, May 23, 2011

Easter Sunday, 2011

Growing up, my parents would line my brother's and I in front of the fire place each Sunday morning for a quick snapshot before church.  I usually held a small Bible in my hands and was decked out in the frilliest of frill with my hair a bundle of bouncy curls freshly released from their foam pink curlers.  My two brothers stood on either side of me, dressed in some type of coordinating vest or polo.  Always in slacks, hair parted and neatly combed to the side.  We lined up in front of the fireplace for years.  Growing taller.  Haircuts changing.  Dolls instead of Bible.  Braids instead of curls.  Slimmer collars replacing wide.  The constant was the fireplace.

Here in our little cottage I hope to make the front steps our constant.  I like the picture of our small children sitting on the front steps of our home.  Seems meaningful / symbolic to me, although I cannot put into words why.  So, here they are dressed in their Easter finest before church.

{It took much persuasion to lay down Cinderella and Belle}

 {Perfect Easter dress for Sophia's personality - pink, frilly, and just right for twirling.}


{Our little man is so happy.}

After church and naps we dressed the kids and headed to a picturesque church in our neighborhood for more pictures.

 {Growing so big and learning to smile for the camera}






Our next stop was Jean Jean's house.  She prepared a fabulous Easter dinner and the kids ate dutifully knowing their reward - the Easter egg hunt!

{Lined up and ready to go} 

{On your mark, get set, GOOOOO!} 

{Loving the jelly beans} 

{Cascarones}

As I've shared so many times on this blog, Easter is my favorite holiday.  Spring.  Flowers.  Bright colors.  Dresses.  Hats.  And the joy that comes from the promise of new life.  Because of all that God accomplished on Easter Sunday, I live confident that someday I too will have new life.  The scripture and picture below are reflections on this assurance.

When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable,
and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true:

"Death has been swallowed up in victory."
"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 
But thanks be to God!
He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  1 Corinthians 15:54-57


No comments: