The kiddos started swimming lessons a few weeks ago and my prayer life increased exponentially. Their instructor came highly recommended and because we are around so many pools in the summer we opted for small group lessons with the Hoppers. Turns out the instructor is of the "dunk 'em and make 'em float" philosophy. Oh and the "Ask the mommies to leave because they will most likely jump in the pool to save their screaming, terrified babies" philosophy too. By the end of the first session she had dunked them several times, taught them to hold their breath, and blow bubbles in the water. By the end of the 2nd session they were all floating independently (while screaming). Sophia is even doing a little floating and kicking. As the instructor commented, "When she makes up her mind she's going to do it, she's quite good." She informed me that Vincent hardly cried at all the 2nd session (remember his favorite activity is playing with the hose in the backyard - the boy LOVES water and bath-time). This was great news considering he saw the pool at the beginning of the session and took off screaming in the other direction. I know this is what is best for their overall safety but I'm thankful she prefers us to leave. I watched Vincent go under during the first session and I'm not sure my heart could handle that sight again. If a decrease in Sophia's petitions not to go to swim again is any indication that she is beginning to adjust then we are good to go, as the petitions have decreased from 100 the 1st week to about once this week.

{The first session, before they knew to be afraid :) Are they not so cute all lined up?}
Here are a few pictures of Sophia after ballet/tap, an activity we started back in the Fall. She is in a small group of four girls who meet every Thursday at her school after Mother's Day Out is over. At first I was convinced that our money was going towards teaching her to "snap" as that is what I found her intently concentrating on when I would come to pick her up. The other girls would be tapping away on their boards to the "Addams Family" and there's Sophia standing perfectly still trying to master the finger snap. Just so you know, she mastered the skill and has now moved on to the jump and hand roll move. How many 3 1/2 year olds do you know that can snap? I'm proud even if it is an expensive skill! :) Seriously though, she has learned quite a bit and can show you 1st and 2nd position, sashay, plie, demi plie, and so on. Her teacher is delightful and patient with the girls and I'm very thankful for that.


Sophia will be continuing Mother's Day Out twice a week this summer and Vincent will be joining her! This will be his first exposure to "school" and I know he will do great. Last weekend I found him the sweetest Thomas the Train backpack. Such a big boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment