In an attempt to make my "Wednesday Book Reviews" as random as possible, I will now review a cookbook.
First, you must understand how I cook. I'm a chicken gal with the occasional ground meat and pork. I embrace casserole cooking and find it quite comforting. I am a firm believer in leftovers. I abhor making a Roux but crave creamy dishes. Hence I find myself frequently mixing flour and butter (a Roux) in an insane attempt to make something thicken. I feel like I cook all day (dinners, frequent hot lunches, and breakfast - oh my, how I adore cooking breakfast). I LOVE to try new recipes. Those recipes must be simple because a toddler will most likely be pulling at my pant leg. I always keep my family's preferences in mind (Tony - no fish patties, no peas, no brussel sprouts, would like me to cook more red meat and loves anything sweet, Vincent - meat, meat, and more meat, Sophia - anything except eggs yolks). I do not fry. It stresses me out on many levels. And finally, I REALLY, REALLY like fresh food.
With that in mind, I introduce you to my new favorite cookbook: Gooseberry Patch, Quick & Easy Family Favorites. The book is divided into 8 sections:
Snacks in a Snap: Recipes for appetizers and snacks. I was delighted to find classic recipes such as "Cream Cheese Apple Dip," and "Praline Graham Crackers." The recipes in this section are great for Mother's Day Out parties, kids' birthday parties, or any party where you need an appetizer. I am looking forward to the "Cookie Dough Cheese Ball" - I will try not to eat it all myself - and the "Tomato-Bacon Nibbles."
5 Ingredients or Less: An intriguing collection of appetizers, soups, desserts, and main dishes requiring less than 5 ingredients (some as few as 2!). Let me warn you. Several of the recipes call for pre-packaged food (such as frozen ravioli, refrigerated biscuits, canned vegetables, etc.). So if that's not your thing, you may not like this section. I've made the "Easy Italian Wedding Soup," and the "Soft Peanut Butter Cookies." Who knew you could make peanut butter cookies with just four ingredients (sugar, peanut butter, egg, and vanilla)? Well, maybe you did but I didn't. They are oh so very scrumdidilyumptious!!!! I will be trying the "Texas Caviar," "Pecan Chicken," and the "You-Name-It Cookies" in the near future.
Breakfast for Dinner: Um, yes please. We eat breakfast for dinner (a.k.a. "Brinner) every Sunday night here in the Morlandt house. We've tried the "Ham & Cheese Muffins" and the "Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast." This is my 2nd favorite section after the Soups and Sandwiches section. There is a nice blend of egg dishes and sweet dishes.
Delicious Main Dishes: We've tried the "Zesty Roasted Chicken and Potatoes," "Carolyn's Chicken Tetrazzini," and the "Chicken Club Pasta." All very good. The recipes in this section use fresh ingredients and, at most, there are 10-15 ingredients in each recipe. I am really looking forward to "Citrus-Grilled Pork Tenderloin" and "Pork & Apple Skillet Supper." If you are a seafood eater there are a few salmon and shrimp recipes but overall this book is a little sparse on the fish.
Slow Cookin'...Fast!: Crock pots are my friend and I'm always on the hunt for good crock pot recipes that won't leave me with a mushy mess. Here are my favorites in this book: "Stewed Black-Eyed Peas (AMAZING!!)" "Lemony Baked Chicken" and "Coq au Vin (Tony's favorite)." I do not recommend the "Slow-Cooker Enchiladas" - pretty mushy. I'm not sure enchiladas should go in a crock pot anyway. I'm looking forward to trying the dessert dishes in this section including "Fudgy Pudding Cake" and "Unbelievable Caramel Pie."
Soup &Sandwich Sensations: By far, my favorite section. Our cold winter has given ample opportunity for large bowls of steaming soup. "Cheeseburger Soup" and "Grilled Gouda Sandwiches" are family favorites from this section.
Speedy Sides & Salads: I have yet to try any of these recipes but look forward to attempting the "Loaded Baked Potato Casserole," "Sweet Brown Rice," and "Pineapple Topped Sweet Potatoes."
Short & Sweet Desserts: Much to Tony's chagrin I have yet to try any desserts from this section. "Trish's Peanut Butter Pie," and "Turtle Cake" look awesome!
In conclusion, this is the book you need if you want random neighborhood kids at your kitchen table. In my opinion, these recipes are very kid friendly and easy on the chef too. Packed with flavor. I will leave you with my favorite recipe from the book. I recommend the lower amount of Cayenne and serving any children before you add it. No, I did not feed the cayenne laced soup to my kids. Yes, I used the larger amount and made my mom and Tony cry.
Cheeseburger Soup
2 C potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 C water
1 T. beef bouillon granules
1/2 t. salt
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained (I think you could easily omit this if you wanted a vegetarian dish)
2 1/2 C milk, divided
3 T. all-purpose flour
8 oz. pkg. pasteurized process cheese spread, cubed
Optional: 1/4 to 1 t. cayenne pepper
Garnish: 1/2 lb. bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Stir in ground beef and 2 cups milk.
Whisk together flour and remaining milk in a small bowl until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Add cayenne pepper, if desired. Top with bacon just before serving. Makes 8 cups.
(Lacy Mayfield, Earth, TX p.213).
picture credit here


No comments:
Post a Comment