Friday, February 25, 2011

5 Minute Friday - 5 Years Ago


Joining Gypsy Mama for 5 minute Friday.  Here's the prompt:  "Give me your best five minutes on life five years ago."  Knit Together readers, what were you doing five years ago?

Start:



Five years ago we lived in San Antonio, Texas in a townhome behind a security gate. I was emerging from a time of personal difficulty, a disciplining by God of sorts. Figuratively speaking, my "security gates" were becoming less and less necessary as I began to trust God more and more. Trust in His goodness, His promises, His plan. Tony was in his third year of dental school, working hard to stay at the top of his class. I was working as a speech therapist in a school on the West side. Writing grants. Working hard. And beginning to find life purpose elsewhere.

We stayed up late, went on weeknight dates, ate sushi, and slept in till 10 or 11. Kissed eachother without brushing our teeth and then headed out for Saturday morning breakfast at Big Apple Bagels. We spent afternoons hiking, reading, napping, laying in the sun. We worried about our dog, exercise, our backyard’s inability to grow grass, and acceptance into residency.

Five years ago our family was a family of 2. I was as thin as I will ever be. I wore make-up everyday. I was a completely different person. Five years ago I did not know a God of grace. And today I do. How thankful I am that “he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)." How thankful I am that He promises never to keep me the same.

Stop

5 comments:

Hyacynth said...

Your life of five years ago sounds similar to ours -- just the two of us, worrying about grass growing. LOL. Oh, now those were the days when I didn't really know what worry meant. Enter kids. :)
Glad to meet your through The Gypsy Mama.

Elizabeth said...

Your life five years ago is one I never got because we married super young and had kids right away. But I do understand the ease of early married life and how uncomplicated it was. It was nice! But like you, God has taught me so much since then. I don't even want to go back! Trusting Him is so much better!

pinkdaisyjane said...

Popping over from Gypsy Mama-

Love that our God is so gracious to do so much in just five years!

Blessings!

Mary Jo said...

Five years ago I did not know a God of grace. And today I do.

Love this!

Thank you for sharing. I'm here via Five Minute Friday.

Lindsey V said...

I love how time and life and changes cause HIS grace to be MORE real, His enduring love to be MORE tangible, and our hearts to be more thankful.

What a precious tribute to HIM in your past 5 years!