Wednesday, August 11, 2010




Let me start this book review with a confession.  Before reading What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey I had yet to complete a nonfiction Religious book (the only exceptions being SKODAM and it's sequel which really read like fiction books).  Several nonfiction books line our shelves.  All of which I started but abandoned.  Call me shallow.  Call me ADD but sometimes the pages of nonfiction books are so packed full of details, so immense in their subject matter that I get overwhelmed; afraid I am not focusing hard enough to grasp the gravity of the topic.  I always read nonfiction books as if I would be given a final exam upon completion and this made for PRESSURE.  When it comes to reading nonfiction, I'm way too serious. 

Not so with What's So Amazing About Grace.  Yancey uses real-life stories to tackle the subject of grace ~ a subject that, if you look close enough, can be quite scandalous.  Yancey shares surprising stories of grace from such ungracious times as The Holocaust, The Civil Rights Movement, and Communist Russia.  His writing style and frequent story-telling made for an engrossing read.  Not only did I finish this book, I couldn't put it down.

Yancey devotes the last few chapter of his book to, what he feels, is a current trend of ungrace (not sure if "ungrace" is a word but you get what I mean) in America - the political religious right movement.  Using Jesus as his example Yancey is a proponent of grassroots social change, of making a difference in our nation not thru politics and power but through service to others.  One of my favorite parts of the book is when he exposes the Christian roots behind some big name non-profit organizations.  These inclusive organizations stand as models of grace in a hurting world. 

Is there a place for grace and forgiveness in such horrors as Nazi Germany?  Does the word "gracious" come to mind when you hear the term "Evangelical Christian"?  Is the church the last place you would turn when in need ~ afraid of the rejection you might find there?  Does the parable found in Matthew 20:1-16 make you a little uncomfortable (it does me!)?  Are you weary and in need of a little unconditional grace? 

May I make a suggestion?  Read this book.  I think it will minister to you.  And if you would like to read it but don't want to buy a copy, I will lend you mine.  Mail it to you.  Hand deliver it to you.  Read it to you over the phone.  Well maybe not the last one but that's how badly I want you to read it.

You might call this my summer of Yancey because I am currently reading Disappointment with God.  I'm about half way through and enjoying it immensely.  I also purchased Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel for our Kindle.  I think it will be a nice follow-up to What's So Amazing About Grace.  Looks like I have some nice material for future Wednesday Book Reviews!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I'm starting mine right after I take my boards.