Sunday, July 25, 2010

Project 21 - Day 13

The day started with a tea party on heirloom china with real pound cake.  Heirloom toy china, that is.  This set was my mother's as a child. 
Later that evening we attended my cousin William's wedding.  It was an authentic small town experience, with over 1000 guests who RSVPed.  The ceremony took place in a picturesque Catholic church in a town of approximately 500 people.  The reception was in the town's dance hall.  Bar-b-que, dancing, cowboy boots, and sweet tea! 

I arrived with a baby on my hip, a toddler by hand, and a camera around my neck.  As I was getting ready for the wedding, I envisioned all the beautiful pictures I would capture of the bride and groom dancing.  Sophia twirling on the dance floor and Vincent toddling to relatives and friends.  In reality, not a single picture was taken.  Instead I fished Vincent's bottle out of the toilet, pried Sophia away from the perfume table in the bathroom, and narrowly avoided a collision between Vincent and one of the caterer's carrying a large tray of beans.  We left early.

Once home, my old Peanut Festival crown caught Sophia's eye.  Yes, I forgot to mention in Day 12's post that I was the 53rd Peanut Festival Queen.  Sophia, who was quite smitten with the bride's dress, pranced around like royalty when I let her try the crown on. 



We enjoyed seeing family and friends today at the wedding.  But I will let you in on a little lesson God is teaching me on this trip.  Parenting is a job meant for two.  Obvious, I know.  Yet somehow with the demands of residency and the frequent in-house call I have mistakenly become confident in my ability to do this alone.  Let me tell you.  It's meant for two and there's absolutely no substitute for Tony.  And just in case I didn't fully learn this lesson at the wedding, Sophia locked herself in the bathroom at Whataburger on the way home.  By the time I was able to get her out, I was fishing Vincent's hands out of the toilet in the stall next door.  Well, at least God has a sense of humor...

2 comments:

C and G said...

aww, well said. I have had those same thoughts when traveling along with Caris. Definately takes two and sometimes you just need a Dad to do the job. You are awesome undertaking such a long trip solo!

Gina said...

Cracked up at this post!