Friday, June 25, 2010

Projects and Projected Projects

In the early part of Spring I was knee deep in mud and soil completing some of the goals I set last year for our backyard.  It may not sound like much but planting 3 hydrangea bushes and two giant planters was quite the feat.  I also planted a vine in our frontyard to grow up our mailbox (it's doing fairly well) and about 7 grow-it-yourself plants (hostas and a honeysuckle tree) that never actually broke surface.  Little bummed about that but maybe they will show up next year?

The new flower bed with 3 hydrangea bushes:

Hydrangeas in bloom:




Large planters:



Last year I begged Tony to walk down to a neighbor's house and steal this chair from their trash pile.  He was not too happy but did it in the still of the night when no one was looking.  A few fresh coats of turquoise paint and Voila!

Before:

After:
All of the backyard beautification makes for wonderful afternoons filled with this:





and this:


and lots of this (with new outdoor toys from Mimi and Grandpa)





And because I'm all about setting goals.  Here are some things I would like to get done next Spring:

1. Vegetable / Herb Garden - two raised boxes to go under Sophia's window.  I'm quite inspired by this garden from a friend in San Antonio.
2.  Flower Garden - between our side patio and our lawn.  Right now it's just a mud pit.  Maybe additional hydrangeas or something more fragrant like the gardenia bush we have on the other end of the patio?
3.  Border - We need some sort of border between the patio Tony built and the lawn.  I think it will define the space a little better.
4.  Front curb flowers - Right next to where I planted this growing vine, I would like to plant a few more flowers to brighten up our curb.

So there you have it.  We'll see how much I get done next year.  I'm thinking I may have a few helpers by then in the forms of a 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old. Maybe by then Vincent won't eat the dirt and Sophia won't pick all the flowers?

3 comments:

Gina said...

I continue to be amazed at your photos. And great job with the chair!

MamaMia said...

Hey Sarah!

You have reminded me that I need to do an update about our garden. It has been wonderful!! The cucumbers and tomatoes have been incredible. I didn't know cucumbers could be so crisp and the tomatoes...the minute you slice one, the smell is awesome and my goodness, the taste! You forget what tomatoes are supposed to taste like. Our corn did very well and was quite tasty, but we only got 9 cobs. The basil--wow! We have put it on pizza and grilled chicken--delicious! We finally have jalapeno peppers and cantaloupe, which aren't quite ready yet. Our carrots were very wild tasting, which is the way I remember liking them as a child, but now I think we are spoiled with the bags of little sweet carrots from the grocery store. We had great success with our snap beans and a delicious recipe to go with them. Our strawberries were a bit tart and small, but very pretty. We had to draw straws for who would get the first, second, etc. strawberry because there was never more than two ready at one time. We have more green onions than we know what to do with. I'll post some pictures soon so you can see. Carroll just said yesterday that we aren't going to do a fall garden because it takes a lot of work and was rather expensive to get off the ground. But I don't think we can ever go back to tomatoes or cucumbers from the store again. The kids love going out to help harvest in the evenings.

Excellent job on the chair. I love the color.

Visit again soon.

MamaMia said...

Just updated our garden pics...stop by and see how out of control it has become.