I am writing this post not with a heart full of self-pity or ungratefulness but with a mind completely blown away by all that can happen in a day. And because both Tony and my mom said, almost simultaneously over the dinner we shared tonight (take-out because there was no way I was cooking after all that went on today), "You really should blog about this." So here it goes.
It all started at 5:00 a.m. when Vincent awoke for his early morning bottle. Pretty usual. Not so usual were the 3 explosions that resulted in 2 outfit changes and 3 diaper changes within the span of 15 minutes. And of course, there were no wipes, no diapers, and no changing pads in his room. Ran out last night. Forgot to restock. Cue zombie walking to the kitchen to retrieve diaper bag with all the essentials. At this point Tony is awake and we decide to go ahead and schedule a doctor's appointment because this is Day 3 of explosions. Back to bed for a few more hours of sleep.
8:20 a.m. - Oh no! Everyone has overslept and I now have 30 minutes to feed and dress both children and myself before hopping in the car to take Sophia to Mother's Day Out and Vincent to the doctor's appointment I have yet to schedule. Oh yes, and make a lunch for Sophia because I forgot to do that last night. I am rather proud that we are dressed and ready by 9:15. Still late for MDO but decently late at least. Grab the 3 bags, the lunch box, the juice, Clifford, Vincent's shoes, and Sophia's lunch. Put that bow in one more time. Lock the door. Walk to the truck. Put Vincent in his car seat. Oh wait. Where's the car seat!?!?! After racking my brain I realize that I left it in my mom's car last Saturday. O.k. Call mom, wait in backyard until she arrives to drop off car seat. Distract Sophia with watering the plants....
10:00 - Arrival at MDO. Embaressingly late but there nonetheless.
10:15 - Vincent falls asleep in truck on the way home. Decide to drive around until his 11:30 doctor's appointment. He wakes up at 11:00 so we arrive at the appointment early and then wait an hour before seeing the doctor. Only to be told that yes, it's a virus and no, there is nothing they can do about it. On the way home there is another explosion. Will need to clean the car seat later....
1:30 - Time to go get Sophia from MDO. I decide to call my mom for back up because I just can't bring myself to wake little Vincent up to go get sister. She stays at the house while I pick Sophia up. Pretty typical pick-up until I get ready to merge onto the highway entrance ramp to go home. Yielding to oncoming traffic. No one is coming. Turn forward and gas it to merge onto the ramp when "BAM" I rear end a little Honda I never saw. Sophia screams at the top of her lungs but everyone is fine. Turns out I rear-ended a fireman who was not on speaking terms with me for the first 15 minutes post wreck. I pretty much ruined his day too. He calls the police. The officer was extremely nice but I have to go down to the station to file a report. I bribe Sophia with the promise of ice cream. She is an angel! Fortunately I did not get a ticket. I'm not convinced that he wasn't parked on the shoulder of the road and therefore was not in my line of vision. Either way, I rearended him so I'm at fault. This day is really starting to be unbelievable!
3:30 - Back home. Clean up the stroller and car seat with heavy duty disinfectants from Day 2 and 3 of explosions. Bring Vincent inside. He's fussy and I think he is ready for another nap. He's on the floor cruising between the rocking chair and the footstool when his little hand misses the footstool and he crashes to the floor only after nicking himself under his left eye on the corner of the footstool. Wild screaming ensues and I decide that this may be a worse day for Vincent than me.
5:30 - My mom drops dinner off on her way to book club - Thank you Mom! The evening is looking better and Tony even promises me a bubble bath which sounds quite nice. That is until I give Sophia a bath and realize she's caught the explosion bug too. Uber disinfecting ensues and bubble bath is nowhere on my radar.
And as I end my day I am fighting the urge to scratch my right forearm which is starting to break out from the gardening I did on Sunday. Last year when weeding our front yard garden I got into a little poison ivy. Seems like I did it again this year. Note to self: Wear long sleeves when weeding the front lawn.
Good times. If this was socially acceptable for adults I would totally be doing this right now:
No really, it's been quite the day. Yet at the end of this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day I am grateful. That we are all safe. That I have people to call on for help. That I have an understanding, loving husband. That some smart person invented scented disinfecting spray. And that tomorrow is a brand new day. A clean slate.
5 comments:
Yes, tomorrow is a new day and "clean slate" to be covered with explosions! JK
So sorry to hear about your day. Thanks for sharing. I think we can all relate - at least in some way.
your day definitely needed a blog post! Everyone should hold their breath when they pass our houses these days. :)
I'm sorry, but this makes me laugh! I know from experience that you either laugh or cry, well usually cry and then laugh...
About Photoshop...Jonathan did not do them, I did. I have very limited Photoshop skills that my daughter, Robin (the computer graphic artist of the family) taught me. I will give you tips on Photoshop if you will tell me how you did your header and cute little icons on the side of your page! :)
Oh, what a mommy day! Tummy issues are so hard. So glad to hear (read) that everyone survived it! We missed you this morning, but understand that you were *busy*.
Girl...that was so funny! And I feel for you!!!! Because I know it wasn't funny in the midst of it. I think we should pose a picture like Soph and Vin with us. Because I have had one of those days too. It will be funny!!! And hopefully theraputic!
Post a Comment