Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yuckie Yookies

In our home, this is how we refer to really yucky things.  All those years as a speech therapist resulted in a tendency to make up nonsense, rhyming words.  That and sometimes I think I'm losing my mind.  Similar to Dr. Seuss yet without the charm and colorful illustrations.  Other made up words in our home?  Pee-yooshky (let's just say we are using this in potty training), Soph la Doph (Sophia) Vincent Vooshky (Vincent) Grits Grets (Greta) Momini (Mommy) Daddy Doo (Tony hates this but it's a favorite of Sophia's), and several others that come and go that may or may not be repeated every again. 

Back to yuckie yookies.  Due to extreme boredom this morning (it is another cold day here in Alabama and in an effort not to get out and spend unnecessary money in warm stores, we are stuck inside) I decided to vacuum under my couch cushions.  I was already vacuuming our living room rug (it requires a weekly vacuum) and thought "Hey, I haven't vacuumed under the cushions in a very long time.  It's probably getting pretty bad under there."  I had no idea.  Yuckie Yookies everywhere.  After I threw all the cushions on the floor Sophia exclaimed with great delight, "Look at all those Fruit Loops!"  I literally held my breath hoping she would not grab the dusty, hairy Fruit Loops for a mid-morning snack.  She didn't.  Oh, thank goodness.  She did, though, stand mesmerized as I vacuumed up those yuckie yookies vowing to never let it get this bad again.  I mean, really, the hair, the pens, the assorted cereals, the crumbs.  It was bad friends.  Let me tell you.  Bad.  Sheer boredom will no longer push me to this point.  I will embrace the vacuum.  I will no longer eat cereal with my 2 year old on the couch.  I will retrieve any pens that may fall down.  I will take an anti-shedding agent so that my hair will not fall into the crevices.  I will apply this agent to husband while he sleeps.

O.K, maybe not.  I will retrieve those pens.  I will embrace the use of my vacuum on a more regular basis.  And friends, come on over and sit on my couch.  No yuckie yookies will lurk under your tooshie.  I promise.

1 comment:

The Hoppers said...

Can you come get the yucky yookies out of my couch? Lawson would have eaten them.