Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Texas Christmas - Destination #6

Back in Floresville for a fabulous Christmas celebration with Tony's dad, family, and friends.  The highlight of the visit?  Yes, you guessed right, some type of food.  An authentic Italian feast prepared by Tony's Aunt Joanne and sister.  Made from scratch lasagna, meatballs, garlic bread, and salad.  We all ate heartily and then distanced ourselves from one another by about 4 feet due to the intense garlic seeping from our pores. 

Later that evening we opened gifts and played a little Wii.  Who knew that I would be the champion of Cabela's bear hunting game?  I've never picked up or shot a gun in my life but man, I can take down some grizzly bears!

Vincent loved the paper and boxes at each house.

The next day we went for a walk with Uncle Michael and his friend Miss Emily.  At one point in the walk Sophia became very distracted, one might say "fixated", on the certain cow substance that true country gals know to avoid while walking.  Right as I was about to hog tye Sophia away from the "substance," Miss Emily picks up a plastic jack-o-lantern from the metal trailer and asks Sophia to go on a scavenger hunt with her. Miss Emily happens to be a special education teacher.  After 5 years of working in the public schools I have to say I LOVE special education teachers.  They have creative ways of distracting children.  The next 30 minutes were spent picking up little country "treasures" - wire, rocks, rusty nails, hard clumps of dirt.  Sophia was in heaven and thoroughly in love with her Uncle Michael and Miss Emily.  When it was time to leave the next day, Sophia jumped in her uncle's arms and stated, "I love you so much Uncle Michael."  Our jaws hit the floor.  This is not a commonly stated sentiment from Miss Sophia. 
Wow, on Uncle Michael's shoulders, I can touch the sky!


Checking out the loot!

By the end of our visit with Grandpa our trip is half way over.  The rest of our vacation we would split between the farm and Hondo, with a short trip into San Antonio to visit with our dear friends The Naus.  And although we were nomads, cat napping in the car, taking a bottle in the car seat, and singing way too many toddler songs for car entertainment, we were grateful for the opportunity to be with family during the Christmas season.

Back home to Alabama.  2010 - finishing up medical school, starting general surgery internship, back to Mother's Day Out, turning one year old, learning to crawl, learning to walk, learning to talk, potty training, memories to make, travels to enjoy - God willing, what a great year it will be...
One of my favorite family portraits - in the family restroom mirror of the Dallas airport, no less.  Good times..

No comments: