Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Texas Christmas - Destination #3

After a wonderful Christmas celebration at the farm we headed into San Antonio for a very special occasion. A birthday celebration for my mom held at the Kyles' house, longtime dear friends, more like family actually. The house was decorated for Christmas, beautiful poinsettias, Christmas tree, and Christmas chine. Jackson started the evening off with reading the story, "Mama Jean's Monkeys" written by Jackson and Graham Hughes. The story was about Mama Jean the jungle explorer who met four monkeys named Jackson, Graham, Sophia, and Vincent. Precious and very creative! After the reading we headed to the table for a delicious meal of pork tenderloin with cranberry reduction, mashed sweet potatoes, a green salad, and bread. After great conversation it was time for dessert, a gingerbread trifle. The dinner was delicious and prepared by the personal chef company, "An Outlaw in your Kitchen."

The evening concluded with a slideshow and roast/toast to my mother. Beautiful things were said in honor of my mom. So neat to hear different memories of different stages in her life. Everyone pitched in on a large gift - a knitting bag stuffed with knitting gifts including a gift card to her local knit shop, a knitting magazine subscription, and a personalized knitting scrapbook of all her knitting projects while living in Birmingham.

Mom, I hope you had a fabulous 60th! You are beautiful, talented, a great example to us all, and most of all loved.



"Mama Jean's Monkeys."

"Happy Birthday to You!"

Watching the slideshow

Opening the knitting gift

2 comments:

Gina said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Your mother is one of the most loving and accepting people I have ever met. I immediately felt part of your family. I am so happy (and a bit jealous :) ) that you have her in your life.

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday, Jean Evelyn!