
100
Hey, hey, hey it's the number of the day! All those Sesame Street watchers will now have that song stuck in their head. This marks my 100th post on "Knit Together." I must say, I've really enjoyed this little journey in the blogosphere. It's neat to occasionally scroll back through time and see Sophia as an infant, a new walker, and a new talker. And Vincent's birth and those first few weeks. Reading the posts I feel like I'm there again. For those who read this little blog, thanks! You are dear friends.
And while we are on the subject of Sesame Street, let me just tell you how much I LOVE this show. And not just me, Sophia too, and let's not forget Mama Jean who we have married off to Mr. Noodle. Seriously, I would love that man at our holiday gatherings. And he's just right for MJ - funny, cute, and she's always said, "Bald's o.kay too." :)
Why I love Sesame Street. First of all, do you remember Maria and Bob and Gordon from when we were kids? They are still on the show - looking quite a bit older (Bob is seriously getting frail - my favorite is when he's dressed up in a clown costume as Triangle Bob - these people are truly dedicated - he must be in his 70's by now - good times). Do you remember Super Grover, Big Bird, Snuffleupagus, Bert and Ernie, the Grouch? Still there. They still have the same quirks too - Bert with his oatmeal and pigeons, Ernie with his ADHD tendencies, Big Bird (a.k.a. the whiner), the Count with all that thunder, and Grover, well Grover is seriously hilarious to me. So clumsy and so passionate - love him. Tony and I are convinced that some of the short clips are from our childhood too. There is a clip from the Bronx zoo of some kids whose children are probably watching Sesame Street now - the 80's garb is way groovy and the perms are out of control.
Other things I love - it's a very cultural experience. Ballet, symphony, art school. And the music - guest appearances from Sugarland, John Legend (never heard of these two before I started watching the show), Diana Krall, and one of my favorites a duet between Ernie and Aaron Nevill (click to watch - lovin' the 80's garb in this clip too). Cameos of Jack Black, Heidi Klum, Jessica Alba, and David Beckham. Not to mention it's filmed on the streets of New York. What does it say about how my life has changed that a trip to New York would definitely include a stop at the set of Sesame Street?
And finally, the things Sophia has learned. She uses these two words appropriately in conversation as a result of watching our little muppet friends: scrumptious and pirouette. The latter she says while spinning on her carpet: "I'm pirouetting." She learned the ABC song and can identify a few numbers and letters - definitely from the show. I know, I know TV rots the brain. I would agree for lots of shows out there. But Sesame Street has it down right - repetition, repetition, repetition and children will learn. Set it to music - make the segments short - all proven methods of learning. And for the most part, Sophia and I watch it together and I narrate throughout. We started watching around 15 months and she loved it from the get go - only watching 10 -15 minutes at the beginning while sitting on the couch with me, sharing eachothers cereal. Now she can watch a full episode while sitting in her high chair at breakfast.
I never thought I would enjoy watching children's programming. But Sesame Street bridges the gap. It's something from my childhood that I can share with her. So you can only guess the theme of Sophia's 2nd birthday party - Sesame Street. I'm thinking about making these cupcakes. Aren't they cute?
So many fun things to experience with a toddler. Other things I've rediscovered? Eggo waffles - yes please, with butter and syrup. Strawberry milk - must shake thoroughly to enjoy. Pouring over toy magazines for hours. And let's not forget the blanket tent balanced atop four feet stuck in the air, a little girl and her mommy underneath laughing and being silly.
2 comments:
I love this! Such a cute little learner :) Really makes we lived closer to you guys so the kiddos could play together soon!
I had Sesame Street Little People. My favorite was Gordon.
Post a Comment