Monday, March 23, 2009

Nesting, Cravings, and All Things Random

Let's start with nesting. I truly believe in this much disputed phenomenon of pregnancy. And for some reason, this little mommy bird goes into overdrive during the last trimester. That inexplicable urge to set up the crib, put the linens on the bed, purchase the necessities, rearrange the furniture - all before the baby arrives and while carrying around 25 pounds of precious cargo - makes little sense. Could you do it after the baby arrives? Sure and the little bird would be none the wiser but something in me just can't find rest until it's all complete. Poor Tony, he is extending me much grace. The goal is to have all things finished before the baby arrives so that we can just sit and stare at his sweet face. Oh wait! And chase Sophia too!

Cravings. With Sophia it was a McDonalds soft serve ice cream cone practically everyday during the last few months. Not really that bizarre. And until recently nothing too out of the ordinary with our little man. But in the last month I've started craving yet again McDonalds soft serve (cheap taste, I know) except served like this:


topped with hot fudge (the 99 cent sundae) with a side of french fries. It's all I can do not to dip the french fries in the sundae. I just alternate bites - completely acceptable - while in my car - before I walk in the house - so that, selfishly, I will not have to share with the little 17 month old - how sad is that? True confessions from an ever growing expectant mommy. But the good news is that I passed the glucose screening at my last doctor visit - the sundaes must not be doing too much damage!


All things random. Last weekend we traveled to Atlanta for the sole purpose of visiting IKEA. IKEA. IKEA. IKEA. I truly love it, I must say. From the European, Tim Allen, blow your hands completely off, hand dryers in the bathroom to all the unique, inexpensive children's toys - IKEA is truly an experience. We purchased 4, floor to ceiling bookshelves, a children's table with chairs, and a beautiful crib and still managed to fit it all in my mom's Highlander for the trip home. Did I mention nesting overdrive? Along with setting up the nursery (Sophia and the new baby will be sharing a room) we are redoing the study. Not to mention the ongoing patio project and the retaining wall out front. All in an effort to make a little more room in our tiny cottage for this next tiny bundle of joy. I will have to post pictures when everything is complete.

Mama Jean joined us on the IKEA adventure and we couldn't have done it without her. She watched Sophia in the children's area while we made decisions on the bookshelves. And later, pushed her around in the stroller while we loaded and tied the boxes to the car roof - not quite like this but almost:
Here are some pictures from the day.

Chowing down in the cafe for much needed shopping energy.




Sophia adored the cool pod chair in the children's department.


I just have to post this picture because our little girl looks so grown-up on that rocking horse!

And here are some pictures of the crib assembly the next day. Sophia was intrigued and insisted on putting her Sophie doll and Elmo doll down to sleep in her baby brother's new bed.
Hard working Daddy!

Notice the 7 month baby tummy!

"I'm so excited about having a big brother on the way!"
And no trip to Atlanta would be complete, as our friends the Joneses taught us, without a stop to Trader Joes. Where we bought 2 boxes of this to eat on the way home:
Also on a random note - we enjoyed a visit from Mimi early last week. Mimi's visit was great! She cooked lasagna and roast, traveled to the grocery store, and watched Sophia while I was at work on Monday and Tuesday. Sophia sure does love her Mimi. Her creative games and distractions. Her funny songs. How she crawls into the pretend cardboard house. And mommy and daddy love Mimi too - the late night talks, the food, the encouragement. We can't wait to see you again in June! Aunt Tiffany was in town last week too. A true treat. Sophia now walks around the house saying "Tiffany" and "Mimi."

Mimi brought Sophia a Texas apron complete with pockets to store all kinds of goodies!

"Beep Beep, coming through!"


Pretty Mimi and Pretty Sophia

Well that completes my long posting on nesting, cravings, and all things random. Thanks for hanging in there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone told me TM loves getting ready for The Vincent to arrive and thinks you are a fabulous wife.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've never been to an IKEA but am dying to check it out. I think there's one in Georgetown.
Thanks for posting these photos - you look adorable! I can't believe little Vincent will be here in a few months.

Anonymous said...

So cute! Sorry we couldn't make it out, miss you guys!

MamaMia said...

My craving was ice cream and chips for all three...not together though.

I could never get Carroll to jump on the nesting boat. He made me wait until the very end.

Like Laura, I've never been to IKEA, but Carroll's parents live in Cedar Park (near Georgetown) and they love it!

Love all the pics. Your family is beautiful!

Gina said...

I could eat McDonald's fries everyday if my arteries could handle it!

White's Journey to Taiwan said...

Ohhh!!! I love your post!! Wow! How wonderful that things are so exciting at the Morlandt's and moving right along. You all look beautiful. Sophia is SOOO big now!! :-) She will be a great big sister. Please post photos of the nursery when it's complete. I'd love to see!
Have a wonderful Easter!