
Well, it's Friday evening and I had yet another wonderful, full day with Sophia! After slathering Sophia in bug repellent and sunscreen we started off on an early morning walk around 7:45 and arrived back home around 10:00. Disappearing for two hours or more is not uncommon for us. I buckle her in, take off, and enjoy our unique neighborhood. We mostly check out the houses and gardens along our route. And, of course, a stop at the neighborhood coffee shop is a must. It says a lot about a person's addiction to caffeine when the barista knows your child by name and asks to hold her while she makes your coffee. I don't mind, Sophia leaves smelling like coffee beans and whipped cream - my favorite combination in the world!
The whole area where we live is delightfully Mayberryish, or Twilight Zoneish as Tony likes to say. There is one street in particular that is especially prone to Mayberry moments though. The first moment occurred when I was an unseen observer of a little girls tea party at dusk. Two little girls, around age five, sitting on a quilt with teacups and a teapot. They wore sweet little dresses with large bows in their hair, smiles from ear to ear. I was still pregnant at the time and I was struck at the gift of living here with a small family. Other Mayberry moments: bikes, scooters left out day and night with no fear of theft; shouts and laughter coming from backyard baseball games; families and neighbors congregating on the front lawn over sweet tea and lemonade. And today's Mayberry moment? Greensleeves on saxophone on the front porch in the middle of June! I have no idea why but there he was - a pre-teen playing Greensleeves on his grandparents front porch. Maybe it's the only song he knows how to play? No matter the reason, it was a nice moment in our walk!
But, our neighborhood is not without problems. In a not-so-Mayberry moment, Tony's truck was tagged two nights ago with spray paint. Passenger side, pink and blue. The police officer informed us that several other cars were hit too. When the officer showed up, I immediately thought of my brother, Peter. I hope your training is going well, brother.
Well, anyway, I'll leave you with a new picture of sweet Sophia from last Friday. In closing, I hope for Sophia the chance to have tea parties on her front lawn, to ride her bike and leave it in the driveway (without waking up to spray paint), and to disappear with someone she loves for hours on end and enjoy it as much as I enjoy her.
1 comment:
I can't wait to have tea parties with sweet Sophia. I'll ahve to watch the allergens, I don't want my arm to hurt!!! I can't believe that this week is almost over, I don't want to go home.
I can vouch for Sarah when she speaks of how sweet this child is. I miss you guys already. Hugs and more hugs.
Post a Comment