Friday, May 23, 2008

This World

Are you ever a little overwhelmed by the world and the tragedies that take place here? It seems like every time I turn around I'm reading or hearing about something heartbreaking. It really started with the study of the Crucifixion in Bible Study Fellowship. In depth look at all that Christ suffered on our behalf. And then the earthquake in China. 80,000 plus dead or missing. And with our Newsweek came an article about Iran and their move to legally penalize Christian converts with death. Not to mention dear friends going through their own personal and family trials. Finally, the news about Steven Curtis Chapman's beautiful little daughter. It all seems like too much.

I pray that the Chapman family, through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, will be like Abraham and hold fast to God's promise that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28)" even when it seems that the facts would say otherwise (Romans 4:18-21).

I think all of us know that things just aren't right down here. Inside all of us, there's a longing for something more, a better place (rent Finding Neverland - it has great symbolism on this very subject). I think the scripture Beth Moore uses on her blog regarding this tragedy speaks to believers' desire for that heavenly home now, especially now, with all the tragedy in the world.

And finally, Jesus was raised again on the 3rd day. The crucifix was ugly, painful, and beyond our comprehension but God was faithful and Jesus rose on the 3rd day, offering us hope too, of not only a future in heaven with Him but also the Holy Spirit to live in us now, causing us to live a life of hope and perseverance in the mean-time. I cannot imagine or pretend to understand what the Chapman family is going through or the families in China who have lost loved ones. I can only hope and pray that the Holy Spirit will be near to minister to them during this time.

I must admit I still get a little overwhelmed and am tempted to fear for Ana Sophia. One thing that helps me is to sing and believe the 2nd verse of the beloved hymn, "Because He Lives." I will close my long ramblings with that verse and please remember to pray for the Chapman family, those affected by the earthquake in China, and the Christian believers in Iran:

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride, and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Because He lives I can face tomorrow;
Because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives. (Words: Gloria Gaither, 1942; Music: William Gaither 1936)

1 comment:

MamaMia said...

Sarah, we recently saw Michael and Tyanne and she mentioned you had a blog and I told her I needed to email you to get your blog address.

I'm so glad you found mine because I so wanted to catch up on beautiful Ana Sophia. I will spend my next few days browsing your blog...what fun.

Please let us know when you are in town because I will need to love on that sweet child of yours.

Love ya,
Monica