Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mimi, Grandpas x 2, Uncle Mike and Aunt Kaela Visit Sophie




Tony: We had a flurry of visitors from Texas last week. My family came to help with tasks of every flavor: housework, making meals, watching Sophie while we went out on dates. This last part was unexpectedly great -- it feels like a long time since we've had a quiet, romantic dinner together. Sarah was so cool...only insisting once that I call Mimi and Grandpa Miles to check in. She's the same girl I loved before the Little Bear came, only now she's more "seasoned." It's like she's suddenly wiser and even more confident -- I think being completely responsible for another life changes a person. Reminds me of Moses when he came down from the mountain after seeing the burning bush (Mt. Horeb? Nebo? -- I don't remember). Moses knew that he was then responsible for the Israelite race and for seeing them through to freedom. And the exodus which followed remains the single most important event in their history.




Not really like that, but in a small way, sort of.


Dad, Michael, Kaela and I went to a local park. The leaves were especially beautiful. While I miss the mesquites and live oaks of South Texas they just don't put out these pretty colors like the trees here.












There's something about showing your daughter off to your family that makes this whole thing seem, oh...I don't know, circular. Sarah and I are now connected to my parents, and to their parents, and so on; we're now part of the club. Having a baby is the most life-changing experience, with so many complicated aspects to learn. But it is also the most universal -- we are forever linked to everyone else who has ushered life into the world.

No comments: