Two cups in the morning. One cup in the afternoon. I make lattes too, pouring in honey as my machine whirls and twirls and foams it's coffee and milk goodness. I dread the day, far in the future, when my wrinkled hand will cover my cup as I politely say, "None for me, thanks. Too late in the day." I will turn to Tony. We're retired and frequent the coffee shop. He reads strictly fiction now, thick glasses, grey hair. Too many years reading medical journals sends him into retirement looking for "who done it?" books. Me? Well, I'm still working my way through the classics. Maybe I've learned to appreciate Austen by now. I stopped trying to keep all her characters straight and now we have found peace with one another. I place my mug empty on the side table and rest my head on his shoulder. Yes, too late in the day for coffee. It will keep me up in the night, you know.
Well today I will have a cup at least. With my baby sleeping in the room next door. Where will she be on the day I refuse afternoon coffee? Where will she be when I no longer need coffee's drug to keep me awake because she did just that the night before? Sweet Luisa, will you say yes to afternoon coffee while I say no? Will you sip it far away from me, in an office somewhere, my Famed Warrior? Or will you take large swigs at the kitchen sink as your baby pulls at your leg? Will you take cream? Sugar? Or no coffee at all? Just tea. Or soda? Or water with lemon? Where will you be when I am old and retired, sitting by your father's side? Maybe we shall take coffee together. I will enjoy your beautiful face, my dear. And all the stories you shall tell me....
Paralyzed is the word to describe my blog writing lately. There are too many practical posts to write - our move, Luisa updates, Sophia's 6 year old update, and so many others. I'm overwhelmed by the practical both here on the blog and in life. So today, I took a break and wrote freely. It refreshes me. Without time for creativity we grow dry and ragged around the edges...
6 comments:
Two things: Weezie is losing her cherub cheeks. Sad for me. Second, we are truly soulmates. I'm not fond of Austen either. One should be able to read a book and enjoy it without needing a flowchart to keep everything straight. Just sayin.
I love this post, S. Good to have you back! Don't tell my mother but I've actually just started drinking a cup of coffee daily. Seth started drinking it about 2 years ago when he had a long commute and had to get up at 4:45. His admission to me that he was stopping every morning at 7-11 to buy a cup came with a fear-inducing, "I need to tell you something" lead-in.
It made way more financial sense for him to make it at home and then it turns out he rather likes it. Though we now live but 8 minutes from his job, he brews a pot each morning and takes it to work in a travel mug. Long a tea drinker, I've realized I sometimes need something "heartier" and coffee with some flavored creamer and maybe even some milk frothed with my $2.79 IKEA milk frother seems to do the trick.
I wonder often about what we'll be like when we're older. Birthdays don't scare me-- they kinda make me happy that I'm one step closer to being able to pen my own "looking back upon my growing years" retrospective video....with an emotional soundtrack, of course!
Hurrah!! Hurrah!! So glad to read this sweet post. Nice to daydream about the future, too.....sometimes I find myself daydreaming about the past. Love you!
Hurrah!! Hurrah!! So glad to read this sweet post. Nice to daydream about the future, too.....sometimes I find myself daydreaming about the past. Love you!
Hurrah!! Hurrah!! So glad to read this sweet post. Nice to daydream about the future, too.....sometimes I find myself daydreaming about the past. Love you!
I love that Mom replied three times. Love more that you are writing again. Great post.
Post a Comment