(courtesy Jill Aldridge photography)
I am only 33 and yet there are years gone from my memory. Being young newlyweds is fuzzy now, 11 years in the past. Certain events during that time spring brightly to life - hosting our first party with our brand-new ice cream maker in the bath tub, churning with rock salt and Oreos. Our one year anniversary trip to the Hill Country. But the intensity of emotions that characterized that time fade to the background and what is left are clouded memories of events and places.
As a young mother I want the older generation to remember the details of new motherhood, offering camaraderie and perspective along the journey. Yet they offer me strawberry visions of sweet babies grown too quickly. I understand. It fades. The sleepless nights, the angst, and worry are replaced by nostalgia as grown children sprout wings and fly away too quickly.
So Sarah - remember. Remember the exhaustion and endless labor that carried on long after you shed your hospital gown for yoga pants and old t-shirts.
When you see the young mother in the supermarket, remember and offer to take her groceries to her car. Hold the baby carrier as she puts cream and sugar in her coffee. Divert your eyes or smile lovingly, knowingly as her toddler throws that tantrum. Stop up your mouth against comments like "You sure have your hands full," and offer instead "How blessed you are!" Knock on her door, her favorite latte in hand. When she invites you in, march to her sink and insist on doing the dishes. She will not be embarrassed because you love her so. Then look her right in the eye and with deep conviction say, "You're a good momma. I see it. You ARE a good momma."
****
Join me over at Lisa-Jo's on the prompt, "remember?" I was inspired by the older gentleman who offered to hold Luisa's carrier at the coffee shop today. His kindness fed my soul.

6 comments:
So great!! Just what I needed to hear as a new, young momma!! Love.
love this!
Great post. I liked the word today. Wasn't it fun? I was your neighbor at the linky.
It was nice to meet you.
Have a good day,
Sherry
Great post. I liked the word today. Wasn't it fun? I was your neighbor at the linky.
It was nice to meet you.
Have a good day,
Sherry
I hopped over from Five Minute Friday. I can definitely feel what you're saying as a mama of 3. Similar to what I shared today too. My favorite line is "How blessed you are!" I'm longing for that one when my 3 rambunctious girls grace the room. ;)
OK so I just visited your blog here and I so love the cute little birds that you have here and there! Very sweet! Great post too!
Post a Comment