In the last year we have delighted in milestones reached. Vincent was potty trained in March and we've enjoyed a diaper-free household (if only for a time). Vincent was easily potty trained, possibly a second child phenomonan? Right around the same time he was potty trained he began to insist on being called, "big boy." Lullabies were no longer to be sung with the word, "baby." "Momma! Say 'big boy!'" "Sweet little Vincent Laws, mommy's baby boy," turned overnight into "Sweet little Vincent Laws, mommy's big boy." In case we questioned his transition to "big boy" status, he would proudly stand up in his dining room chair and reach for the sky. "Look Momma. I'm a big boy. I eat my chicken. I will grow big!"
We tell Vincent often that he is a big, strong, brave boy. He seems to take these admonitions to heart as he dons his Storm Trooper mask and light saber to take on the evil Darth Vader, who happens to arrive around 6:00 each evening wearing scrubs and Dansko surgery shoes. An arsenal of swords and light sabers clutter Vincent's bookshelves, along with a slew of Thomas Trains, MegaBlocks, puzzles, and MatchBox cars. Just recently Vincent has taken to arranging our couch pillows around the living room. He then positions himself in a perfect fencing stance, lifts high his light saber and stabs the pillows declaring, "I kill you! I got you!" What is he imagining in his boyish mind's eye? Legions of Storm Troopers? Bears? Snakes? Or maybe cockroaches? The latter he defended his sister and I against when it crawled out from under the couch. We squeled and he raced for his light saber pushing it back under the couch with its red tip, all the while declaring, "I save you!" No matter the foe, he meets his adversaries with a scowl and determination.
{The scowl with a makeshift sword and his buddy Judah}
{Vincent with our friends, the Sampsons. James is his wrestling buddy.}
Vincent's imaginative play is developing early. Having an older sibling helps, I think. For a few days this summer Vincent and Sophia spent each afternoon perfecting a "medicine soup" of dirt, leaves, and sidewalk chalk to nurse King Louis, who lives in the branches of the Magnolia tree at the top of Morlandt mountain, back to health. The soup was concocted in the back of a yellow Tonka dump truck using a selection of some of my favorite kitchen spoons. Weeks later I am still collecting spoons from the backyard. Vincent likes to dig all the soil out of the large, empty flower pot. I watch from the kitchen window and reassure myself that although they do not have access to miles of country land, like I did, Vincent and Sophia's backyard serves as their kingdom for wild imaginations and explorations. As I stand in the sunny window my heart is filled with gratitude for the opportunity to observe them unaware in their creative play.
{Mornings outside}
{Playing doctor}
{Excavator and dump truck work at our favorite park - Triangle Park!}
Other favorites include Scooby Doo, Diego, and Star Wars. Vincent would live on chips and french fries if allowed. His favorite phrase is, "Hey! I need to tell you something!," said frequently and with great intensity to friends and strangers alike. Vincent adores his sister, most of the time, and at the park last week he said, "My sissy is the best. I love her in my heart." We have heard Vincent refer to Sophia as "Sophia," only a handful of times. It's always "sissy," and it warms my heart to hear her referred to as such. He loves all of us in his heart and will frequently end the day, after his daddy has tucked him in with, "Daddy, I love you in my heart.
Vincent continues to be a tender heart. He is easily corrected for the most part but exhibits the strong will that seems to characterize our little family.
{Where strong willed children end up}
Vincent, you are full of personality and expression. You keep your Italian heritage alive with passionate storytelling, complete with animated gesticulating and facial expressions. You make us smile everyday. Your personality is a fantastic, delightful story unfolding right before our eyes. How blessed we are to be your parents!
{Personality in motion}

3 comments:
You captured him in words and pictures! These blog updates of their development are a treasure that wil only grow in value over time as details sometime fade in our memories. Your Jean loves you vincent!
You captured him in words and pictures! These blog updates of their development are a treasure that wil only grow in value over time as details sometime fade in our memories. Your Jean loves you vincent!
Thanks always for this. He's getting so BIG! I'm afraid he may have gotten the Hughes dancing gene though...lol Love you Sarah!
Post a Comment