Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday's Musings

Meager Offering

Scripture References:  John 6:1-14, Mark 14:1-9

I’m leaving for my Thursday morning writing class, kissing my husband before I walk out the door when Sophia gallops in from the other room.  “Momma, don’t forget your reminder,” she chirps as she extends the dollar store Dora ring she received for her birthday.  “Thanks baby,” I say as I slide it on my pinkie finger.  “A reminder?  What do you mean?” I ask.  “To remind you how much I love you,” Sophia answers matter-of-factly. 
Later that morning, I watch the ring bounce up and down as I type on my computer during writing class.  Dora on a sparkly pink background encircles my pinkie finger next to my engagement ring, a three diamond love offering given over ten years ago.  Two rings.  Two love offerings.  Two sacrificial gifts.  One financially worth far more than the other.  Is the meager, dollar store offering cherished less in my heart?  By no means.  The ring is an unexpected offering given to me by my treasured first-born.  A prized trinket.  The best of what she has.
As I reflect on these two rings placed side by side on my own hand I realize that Sophia has once again taught me of a something deeper.  Something sacred.  Something of my own Father.  When I offer  Him a love gift of my best, which in the scheme of things really only amounts to meager talent, measly funds, and miniscule time – he takes no less pleasure from my dime store offering than he does of the diamond studded sacrifice of another.  I am thankful I serve a God who looks at the heart and is pleased when I give the first-fruits of my labor; when I give the best of what I have, even if my best is “dime store” compared to another’s.  I am thankful I serve a God who values widow’s mites (Luke 21:1-2) as much as he values expensive perfume (Mark 14:1-9).  Who uses a poor boy’s barley loaves and tiny fish for great purposes (John 6:1-14).   Who will use even my mustard seed of faith for His eternal plans (Matthew 17:20).  I am thankful I serve a God who looks upon the heart, not upon the gift.
I wore Sophia’s ring all weekend.  I want her to see that I cherish it.  That her gift is valued.  I wonder if the little boy who offered up his barley loaves and fish in John chapter 6 felt valued at the end of the miraculous feast.  Was he humbled at having been included, noticed, and used by Jesus, God in flesh.  What is my best?  I want to offer it up like a dime store Dora ring.  I want to offer it up as a reminder to God.  A reminder that I love Him…..

1 comment:

thefisherlady said...

I love the two rings...
God has blessed your daughter's heart! Such a gift!