But as I type I realize that older brings with it a glimmer of sadness too. I DO want to freeze time when I pack away the pink floral, size 6 months dress. The overalls and sleeping gowns. Freeze time when she walks into Kindergarten. Freeze time when he dons his first t-ball uniform. Freeze time.
Time is a conundrum. Growing older both sweet and sour to our palate. Sheldon Vanauken, in reaction to a letter from C.S. Lewis on eternity, describes our battle with time best when he states, “Then, if we complain of time and take such joy in the seemingly timeless moment, what does that suggest? It suggests that we have not always been or will not always be purely temporal creatures. It suggests that we were created for eternity. (Sheldon Vanauken, A Severe Mercy, p.203).”
So when I hear “older” I am filled with both gratitude for the blessing and longing for its extinction.
******************

Join me for 5 Minute Friday on the prompt "older?" Not feeling it today? Then maybe just click over and read a few at GypsyMama. By the way, your time is well spent reading Gypsy Mama's beautiful words of truth and encouragement.
1 comment:
..."So when I hear “older” I am filled with both gratitude for the blessing and longing for its extinction."
WOW! I enjoyed your post and my heart echoes yours.
Beautiful-
~Stacy
Post a Comment