{Who doesn't love caddywumpus baby hair? - baby Vincent, Winter 2009}
In our house we call things that are backwards or on crooked, "caddywumpus."
"Sophia, you have your pants on all caddywumpus!"
"Silly Sophia, your shoes are on all caddywumpus!"
"Momma, your hat is caddywumpus!"
With two toddlers in the house, things are always on a little caddywumpus. Especially shoes, pants, and shirts. They are learning independence and part of my job is letting them try, even if they mess up, even if it ends up all "caddywumpus." On a good day, when we're not running late and she is ready to leave the house with her shoes on backwards, I'll stop for a little lesson. I get down on her level and gently remove her shoes. Then I rub the tender skin of her outer foot. "This is the outside of your foot." Then I pick up the shoes, most likely her flower sandals, and explain, "See these flowers? They need to touch the outside of your foot. If they are touching the outside then you have them on correctly." She tries. She succeeds and we climb in the car for our morning errands.
You know, sometimes I think my life and priorities are all "caddywumpus." Are you ever haunted, like I am, by past and present mistakes, big and small? The thoughtless remarks you made to a friend, the forgotten birthday, the gossip you participated in, the time you lost your cool with your husband, your child, when you bailed on a responsibility. These errors and the remorse I feel leave me all "caddywumpus." Funny though that God isn't surprised at all. Just as I am not the least bit shocked when Sophia puts her shoes on the wrong feet, God is not the least bit amazed by my shortcomings; "for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust (Psalm 103:14). And just "as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him. (Psalm 103:13)" This is good news for little, ol' caddywumpus me. I rest today that he is patient and promises never to leave me in my current state. I can be "confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.(Philippians 1:6)" So glad he keeps me from repeatedly walking out the door with my pants on all "caddywumpus."
****************
Join me over at GypsyMama for today's 5 Minute Friday's prompt, "backwards." I'm sure she won't mind if you go a little over or if you can't quite write for five minutes. She seems cool like that....

8 comments:
Love this! And I love your word for it :) You are right, God is not surprised by our shortcomings and He loves us anyway.
Oh my goodness! How I am haunted by past mistakes. I initially thought that that is what I would write about, but had to dismiss it for the sheer VOLUME that it would entail. (How sweet the scene of you helping your little one to put on shoes. So perfect an example of how God must feel when he helps to turn us around.) So glad that I stopped by today from Gypsy Mama's. :)
Thanks for the comment and you are right - too funny that we took the same spin on backwards and ended up right next to each other in the linky list.
Love the word caddywumpus! So much more fun to say than backwards. In my family we say "beckon" instead of better. So if someone is sick, we'll ask if they are feeling beckon.
Love the little things that make each family unique!
Great post, Sarah! I also grew up hearing that word, although it was pronounced more "caddywOmpus" (or at least that's how I heard it!) I'll have to do some research on that....!
caddywampus is one of the best words ever. It just sounds like what it means. Fun post. =)
(visiting from Five Minute Friday!)
A friend gave me a quote this week from David Brainerd, a former American missionary. He said, "God let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am." I have thought about those words this week, and in reflection on "backwards." We're on the same page, you and I...
What amazing insight you have. I'm so proud of you Sarah Jean!! XXOO
-Tiffany
Oh my, I remember Opa always using that word to describe all the wonderful and not so wonderful "backwards" moments in life. Thank goodness God loves us even though we are "caddywumpus".
Post a Comment