Oh, how I miss distance. Growing up, I lived 20 miles outside our small town’s city limits and 45-50 miles from the bright, exciting city of San Antonio. Quite a distance to drive if you needed anything from “town.” But distance was good. As the wheels of my Firebird turned on the pavement and the distance from town grew, my heart began to quiet. For distance afforded magnificent star gazing, stillness, quiet, and adventure. When I was smaller I would cover great distance on my bike. Pedaling for hours up and down country roads. Checking on calves. Rushing to the aid of imagined emergencies. Exploring. And as I covered distance, it was just me, my bike, and my thoughts. My brother taught me how to climb on the roof of our house and many hours were spent gazing at the vast distance between myself and the sparkling stars. Distance. I miss distance.
Now I’m firmly planted in the “city,” where the distance to the nearest library is approximately 1.3 miles. The nearest ice cream and coffee shops - .5 miles. Nearest park – 1.0 mile. I now enjoy covering distance on foot while pushing 75+ pounds of stroller and children up and down hills. Although the shorter distance affords many a benefit, I long to look out my window and see a distance of land unobstructed by man-made buildings. To see newborn goats leaping and playing, cows grazing, tractors rolling, irrigation pumps spraying – all off in the distance.
*********************
Linking up with GypsyMama one day late with the prompt: "Distance." Join me? We can be tardy together.

5 comments:
I've been feeling this same "tug" for what most feels like home to me, but in the reverse of what you described.
I recently moved to what feels like "country" to me, with plenty of "distance" between me and my neighbors, and I desperately miss the city! Where I could push that stroller to coffee shops and libraries (or in the stage I've recently entered--walk my kids to school).
Perhaps we could arrange a switch? :-)
Found you over at Gypsy Mama. Funny the varying perspectives we all have on distance. I currently live a little more than an hour south of San Antonio (small world!), near Beeville, and the distance is hard for me to manage. I totally understand, though, the difference between wide open spaces and having neighbors on top of you. Been there done that, both ways! I can't honestly say if one is better than the other -- they both have their intrigue for sure. :)
Wow! What a great post! I know what you mean. I'm a country girl, who moved to the small town in high school, who now lives in the suburbs. I do miss the open spaces, but I love where I am now.
I came over from The Gypsy Mama. I'm Julie.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Although I miss "the distance" living in the country provides, I am equally as smitten with where I am today. I am thankful to God for putting us here with small children, as its easy to have child-friendly outings, experiences, and play-dates.
Every once in awhile I get the itch for wide open spaces and it's usually a sign that its time to go home. :)
Sarah
Thanks for your sweet words. Not sure if we are talking about the same organization -- S. Texas Children's Home is the name of this place, but it is a Baptist home, so we may be talking about the same place. It's the only one near Beeville to my knowledge.
Small world, for sure! Looking forward to getting to "know" you here. :)
Post a Comment