Tuesday, March 15, 2011

He's 21 Months


And that's only three months away from two years of age.  That fact leaves me dumbfounded.  Two years old!?!?!  How can that be?  While we plod away at the daily grind Vincent is growing up.  So for posterity sake I will share with you "A Day in the Life of Vincent Laws."  Before long he will be too big for overalls, too fast to catch up in my arms, and too mature for cereal on the couch with his momma. In the meantime I will remember to cherish these daily moments with my boy.

"Good morning baby boy!" I say as I open his door.  He's standing in his crib, holding "Gus" (his lovie), "Gerdie" (the replacement lovie we bought in case 'Gus' disappeared that has now turned into another lovie), and his blue blanket that Jean Jean knitted.  He hands all three to me before I pick him up from the crib.  And if I drop one?  He will insist on picking it up and carrying it into the kitchen.

"What cereal do we want this morning?" I ask after letting the dogs outside.  Vincent grunts and points and if I grab the wrong one he will shake his head and push it away.  We settle on Special K with strawberries, pour it into a bowl, and sit down on the couch.  I will turn on "The Today Show" to watch the morning headlines with Vincent on my lap, snacking away at his cereal.  When the Today Show camera scans the tourists and locals waving outside of the studio, Vincent will wave enthusiastically back at the TV.  After awhile we switch over to "Curious George," Vincent's favorite show.  He nuzzles the top of his head under my chin and I kiss his sweet hair over and over.  Sometimes I rest my cheek on his head and savor the quiet in the house.

"Sizzy???" Vincent asks as he stands outside Sophia's room, with his palms up in a questioning gesture.  "She's asleep in her bed, brother." I reply.  He smiles a toothy grin and flops down on the floor, head to the side, bottom in the air. "Honk shhh.  Honk shhh." He mimics her sleeping.

"What are you doing Vincent?" I teasingly ask as he dumps his sippy cups and lids onto the floor.  It's one of his favorite things to do right now.  After dumping them out he will take a few over to the play kitchen, pretend to fill them up with water, and then triumphantly put on the lids.  When he tires of this activity he will push trucks across the floor or disappear into his room to play with his Thomas trains for awhile.  The house continues in silence with occassional sound effects from a boy playing in a world all his own.

Sister soon wakes up and breakfast is served at the table.  Vincent loves oatmeal, the fruit flavored variety.  "Haaa Haaa!"  'Hot!  Hot!" he exclaims.  This is my cue to come over and blow on his oatmeal.  And then he smiles that toothy grin for the hundredth time this morning.  And that makes me smile too.

If its a Wednesday or a Friday we might stay at the house.  If this is the case, Vincent will want to play outside.  Sister may join him if she is able to find the perfect "outfit."  If not, he will play by himself for an hour.  I usually fold clothes or do the dishes while I watch him out the window.  He is so content playing by himself outside.  He transfers sand from the sandbox to the table on the other side of the lawn.  He pushes around his giant truck.  He slides down the slide more times than I can count.  He empties the dogs' water bowl one cup at a time.  He plays fetch with the dogs.  But his most favorite activity of all?  Getting completely soaked with the hose as he fills up various containers in the backyard.  He loves being outside.  Being independent.


If its a Tuesday he will go to Bible Study Fellowship where he is known for being a helper at clean-up time.  If it's Thursday he will go to Kindermusik with Jean Jean where he is known for his affection towards the other mothers/caregivers.  He will stand in front of the women, smile at them, and once they smile back he will seat himself in their laps, where he has been known to give a few hugs.  He's less interested in the other kiddos.  More interested in the mommies.  And if it's Sunday he will go to the nursery at church where they comment on how hard he plays, that he's a rough and tumble boy.



{These pictures were taken in December by His Hands Photography during a Kindermusik session}

If its a Wednesday or a Friday we might join friends at the zoo or another playdate location.  He loves the petting zoo and the predator house and can be found running when not in the stroller.  Running with his arms crooked at the elbows, swinging side to side.  It's a unique little run.  Makes me laugh.  Or maybe we will go to the park where he loves the slide, exhibits no fear, and wants to do exactly what sister does including standing up on the slide and walking backwards, climbing the tall ladder, and teasingly hanging over the side of the jungle gym.  Let's just say I pray.

After all this busyness we settle down for nap-time.  "Vincent it's time for night-night.  Where's Gus?" I say.  "Gu????  Gu????  Gu????" he shouts through the house while standing on his head to look under his bed or the couch.  This daily game of looking for Gus is precious.  We locate Gus, Gerdie, and the blue blanket and head to his room where we read a few books before I lay him down in his bed.  He falls fast asleep and won't wake up for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 

At dinner later in the day Vincent will devour his food, especially the meat portion.  He will sign and say, "More, please," with a toothy grin that makes us all laugh again.  Veggies are not his thing but I know he will grow into them.  For now, its meat, meat, meat.  Although if allowed, he will eat chips and snacks all day.

Bath time is an adventure.  He fights his sister for position at the front of the tub at the faucet so that he can catch the water in cups.  He likes being squirted with his Thomas squirt toys but hates getting his hair washed.  He enjoys 'swimming' on his tummy and will occasionally put his face in the water.

After running around the house naked for awhile (what child does not want to do this after a bath? :)) we wrangle him down to strap on a diaper.  Bed-time is a daddy thing, although I fight him for the privilege.  For you see, Vincent is the sweetest at bed-time.  After books (James the Red Engine, Pouch, Polar Bear Polar Bear to name a few) we turn off the light to rock.  This is his cue to turn on the cuteness.  He grabs Gus and teases us with him, handing him to us only to snatch him away at the last minute.  Grabs our hands to make us sign "More please," or clap ours against his.  He then points out all his body parts followed by ours.  Then there's the kissing Gus game where he kisses him and then gives him to us for us to kiss.  It's just the sweetest.  So at the end of the night his daddy says, "Night, night Vincent.  I love you," while placing his blue blanket sweetly across his back.  And except for the occasional night-waking we won't see him again until morning when it all starts over again.

Here at 21 months I'm noticing little things about our man.  Through-out the day he demonstrates a sensitive heart.  Loves to be held, hugged, and kissed.  Will give random, unexpected hugs through-out the day.  He mimics sister, hugs sister, and is learning to take turns.  He responds strongly by crying when he hears the word, "no."  And that's usually all it takes, "no," for him to stop the undesired activity.  He is starting to combine words but is difficult to understand at times. And he's developed some funny faces that make us all smile.


Vincent Laws Anthony, what joy you bring to our day-to-day lives!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Jake and Vincent are so similar. I absolutely love him at this age!

McKt said...

This is so sweet! I love that you have captured this moment in time so beautifully. And this boy sounds like a lot of fun!

lars327 said...

So sweet! He is such a precious boy & that smile is truly hard to resist:)

Uncle Andrew said...

So great Sarah, I love being able to see and hear all abouf Vin. Great pics and fantastic writing.