Saturday, February 12, 2011
5 Minute Friday - Restlessness
I'm here with a belated 5 minute Friday. This week's prompt from Gypsy Mama: "Share your week with me? The five minute or the “and then some” version." Below is my "and then some" version as it took me much longer than five minutes.
Start:
This week was characterized by growing restlessness. I’m hungry. Hungry for daffodils and irises bursting from the Earth. For long walks around the neighborhood in tank tops and water bottles filled to the brim. For picnics in the sun. For azaleas abloom. For cheap blue kiddie pools filled with frigid hose water. Sitting on the back porch reading while the kids race back and forth, burning off energy. Babies falling into a deep nap slumber after mornings spent outdoors. For hydrangeas. For shooting water fountains at the zoo. For sandals. Pedicures. And pretty little feet. For 10 minute get ready times unencumbered by coats, sweaters, scarves, hats, and boots. For windows flung open. For pink tulip trees.
For Spring.
The week started with another stomach bug for Vincent – his third this winter. One by one, it made its way through the family. I felt as though I could actually see germs floating around the air of this stuffy house. Sleep schedules are way off, a restlessness I attribute to not enough time in the sun. Based on the state of my skin, I may be joining the alligator exhibit at the zoo. And I’ve lost Sophia’s knitted hat. Again.
But as I’ve learned to do during growing states of restlessness, I must turn my thoughts towards gratitude. Gratitude for indoor playdates at McDonalds with the dearest of friends. For indoor playscapes that Vincent can now independently navigate. For the powder-like snow that fell on Wednesday night, perfect for snowballs and snowmen. For the blanket of snow on the back of my truck that blew off like my own personal blizzard as I drove around town on Thursday. For the beauty of that snow blowing in the air. For seasonal art projects. For Valentines scribbled by three year olds. For a husband off all day on Friday. For warm biscuits and soup.
For the restlessness that will make Spring all the sweeter.
Stop
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Woo hoo for McDonald's!!!!!
I am ready for spring too! Yet I felt the same way about fall/winter when it was so hot :)
Post a Comment