Friday, December 3, 2010
Because It's a Calling...
About a month ago I sat on the couch with my "mommy notebook" and jotted down a few things that currently characterize Sophia at 3 years of age. As I wrote, principles from the Bible Study Tony and I were attending on Wednesday nights came to mind. The subject of the study was "Discovering your Spiritual Gifts" and although we spent our time studying and discovering our own spiritual gifts, my mind wandered to my children; contemplating the gifts and talents they were given upon creation. What are their gifts? What are their talents? Are they currently and will they someday use them to glorify God? These are questions only they can answer as they grow in their personal and spiritual maturity.
Yet, as I sat there in my uncomfortable folding chair I began to feel a sense of conviction that to be entrusted with these children is, indeed, a calling. And one aspect of this calling is helping my children discover, foster, and use their gifts and talents. To become aware of their innate struggles and natural "bent towards evil," (strong words, I know, but the truth for all of us) laying the groundwork for obedience, and hopefully pointing them to the only One who saves. With this in mind I found a renewed purpose returning to my "mommy notebook" and this blog's updates on Sophia's and Vincent's growth. My hope is that they will someday look back on these blog entries and discover nuggets of self. Puzzle pieces of who they are. I know their interests will change over the years, their personalities and character continuing to grow and develop. Yet, grown-up Sophia as you read this little 3 year old update, I hope you will find (even in these early years) a sense of who you are now, looking back.
Sophia, just like all the other children in this world, you are completely unique. Here are a few things that make "Sophia" ~ "Sophia" right now. You appear to be very "relational." You feed off interacting with other children and adults. At this age, playing by yourself is a challenge. You would much rather dance with mommy or daddy, direct other children in the proper way to play "house," jump with your brother in bed, do "school work" with mommy at the red table, or have a grown-up conversation with daddy over ice cream at our kitchen table ("What did you do at your work today, Daddy?"). You memorize the names and physical characteristics of other children, recalling and recognizing them in different contexts. The only exceptions to your relational play is the time you spend painting and drawing pictures, and sculpting play-doh. This you could do for at least an hour by yourself, with little calls for assistance. You also spend an unbelievable amount of time changing in and out of your dress-up clothes. Those who know you best, will attest to your obsession with "dressing up." There are no words for how much you love sparkly, pink pretty things.
You like being "on the go." Each morning starts with the questions, "What's today? Where are we going today, Mommy?" You enjoy "bible class" on Tuesdays and school and ballet on Thursdays. The rest of the week you delight in playtime with your Jean Jean and playdates with your friends. You are a "lively, physical" little girl. I've never met a girl who enjoys to roll around, wrestle, and run as much as you do!
As you entered "school" and bible class this last year you began to exhibit an "outgoing and fearless" personality. How many times have I met a mother of one of your classmates and heard, "Oh this is Sophia! Johnny talks about her all the time." Your boldness appears to make you stand out! I witnessed this first-hand at your school's Halloween party. After making the trick or treat rounds, you and the other children gathered in the cafeteria for a magic show. In an effort to get things going, the magician played music and called for the children to get up and dance. Every single child stayed glued to the floor. Every child, but you. You hopped up and began to dance with the magician in your princess dress and high heels. And when no one else joined you, you kept right on dancing in front of the whole assembly. Later when the show began the magician asked for a show of hands for a volunteer. Yours shot right up and when the magician chose another little princess you were not deterred. You just stood up in place, marched to the front of the room and stood on the other side of the magician. My jaw hit the floor! Fortunately for you, I was in the back of the room with your brother and unable to get through the children seated on the floor to make you sit back down. Also working in your favor was the magician's good humor. "You want to be in the show too, huh? Sure. Stand on this square." You know what, Sophia? I was so proud of you. Not yet 3 at the time, you stood there perfectly still on that square, followed every direction he gave you, waited your turn when he worked with the "chosen" volunteer (who was at least a year older than you), and sat back down when instructed to do so. After the show we walked back to the car and I gave you a firm verbal warning to wait until you are chosen and to allow other children the opportunity to shine. But since the magician invited you to stay I found no grounds for applying a consequence. During the ride home you were perfectly delighted, energized from the spotlight.
You continue to be, in the words of your ballet teacher, "crazy verbal." This video is of you at 18 months of age. Your verbal skills have continued to explode since that time. On your good days you are genuinely grateful and mannerly in your speech, "Wasn't that nice?" "Thank you so much!" "Excuse me, I need to say something." And on your not~so~good days we will hear "Not now." "Five more minutes mommy." "I need space!" "I sometimes make bad choices, mommy." Amidst all the sweetness and personality you face the daily struggle of making good choices. I do too, sweet girl. My hope is that our firm resolve will teach you the benefits of obedience. Peaceful, unbroken relationships. Order and security.
Here are a few other things you enjoy right now: the farmer's market, the zoo, Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Fancy Nancy books (oh, the Fancy Nancy in our house!!!), books, books, books, and more books, your doll "Marabelle Lavinia Chandelier" ~ name taken from Fancy Nancy herself, babies (your favorite being Judah who is really no longer a baby but will always be so to you), singing, and your family. How you love family time! Dancing together in the kitchen, outings, picnics. You are starting to play with your brother more but things get heated as you both like to be in charge. And finally, kisses. Oh how you love to kiss, hug, and snuggle your family and close friends!
In summary, little one, you are a delight. Each day is an adventure and I never know what you are going to say! Sweet girl, you may not always be "relational, on the go, physical, lively, outgoing, fearless, and crazy verbal" and I'm not sure any of these traits are an indication of your spiritual gifts and talents but I'm enjoying them while they last. As you grow, change, and develop new traits, I will delight in you and try to record your growth in the written word. What a privilege to watch you grow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love love love this depiction of your sweet girl! What a thoughtful and observant mommy she has. I really love your description of her, so vivid, and completely agree it will be puzzule pieces she can look toward when becoming her. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for this Sarah. As an out-of-state uncle, it's great to see this insight. Beautiful writing as well. :)
Post a Comment