Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry
I thought I’d stop and have myself a brew
As you might guess Tony and I did not stop at a local saloon on our recent trip to Galinburg, Tennessee. This fact, though, did not keep Tony from singing this song sporadically through-out the 8 hour trek to the mountains. I do believe he was singing it while salivating as we pulled into Dunkin Donuts at 1 a.m. to buy coffee and donuts to keep us awake as the kiddos slept in the backseat.
A little history: Anthony and I love the mountains. The Smoky Mountains in particular. The summer before Tony's senior year in dental school we took a little tour of the South to check out prospective residency locations. Our two week adventure included Nashville and Memphis TN (I won't discuss how excited Tony was about Graceland and how absolutely shocked I was - I mean green shag carpet on the walls? TCB in a Flash - Good times), Louisville, Kentucky (LOVED Louisville, especially Bardstown Road where we sampled some of these cookies - yum!), Franklin, NC (where we stayed at Tony's uncle's house in the Smokies and ventured for an overnight trip on the Appalachian trail), and finally Birmingham, AL (our soon to-be home). So, when Tony was given an unexpected week of vacation we immediately planned a family trip to The Smokies. Gatlinburg seemed the perfect place. Easy access to the Smoky Mountain National Park and lots of kid-friendly parks for Sophia and Vincent.
A little history: Anthony and I love the mountains. The Smoky Mountains in particular. The summer before Tony's senior year in dental school we took a little tour of the South to check out prospective residency locations. Our two week adventure included Nashville and Memphis TN (I won't discuss how excited Tony was about Graceland and how absolutely shocked I was - I mean green shag carpet on the walls? TCB in a Flash - Good times), Louisville, Kentucky (LOVED Louisville, especially Bardstown Road where we sampled some of these cookies - yum!), Franklin, NC (where we stayed at Tony's uncle's house in the Smokies and ventured for an overnight trip on the Appalachian trail), and finally Birmingham, AL (our soon to-be home). So, when Tony was given an unexpected week of vacation we immediately planned a family trip to The Smokies. Gatlinburg seemed the perfect place. Easy access to the Smoky Mountain National Park and lots of kid-friendly parks for Sophia and Vincent.
Our First Day
We woke up to this view off the porch of our little 2 bedroom cabin:
Picnic on the porch:
Spicy chicken sandwiches on ciabatta bread with strawberries and blueberries:
Second and Third Day: Dollywood
Here is Sophia all ready for Dollywood in a bonnet that I wore to Six Flags at age 2:
This bear was part of the cabin decor. Please don't tell the cabin owners but it rode all the rides at Dollywood that day :) :
Tony's favorite part of the park - an authentic coal-fired steam engine
The Carousel where Sophia chose the brightest pink horse available:
Getting all ready for more rides in the sun:
During a downpour we headed inside for an ice cream sundae as big as my head:
Guess who met us at Dollywood on their trip up to Illinois? Mimi and Grandpa!
Day 4 - The Ripley's Aquarium:
Without a doubt this was Vincent's favorite part of the trip. He LOVED all the fish.
Sophia was not too sure about these strange ocean creatures!:
Beautiful jellyfish:
And just so you know, Sophia did find time to dance in the mountains:
We had the best time. The only bummer was the rain which kept us from hiking but gave us an extra day at Dollywood where the lines were almost nonexistent. I'm so grateful that God provided this time of reprieve from residency for our family to reconnect and create memories.
And now for my first Giveaway!
This is not a giveaway in the sense that I have so much blog traffic that 3rd party sponsors are giving me things to giveaway. This is a giveaway in the sense that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SENDING CARE PACKAGES! So if you would like to be the lucky recipient of a care package stuffed full of local Birmingham goodies from our trendy downtown stores (including Penzey's Spices, O'Henry's Coffeehouse, At Home, and Swaddle) then leave a comment with your best guess of the title and artist of the song quoted at the beginning of this post. You need not be correct to win. Family and local readers are included in this giveaway (I will hand deliver your care package!) as well as readers from other states. So leave a comment and during the first week of August Sophia will randomly pick a number corresponding to one lucky commenter. Why? Because I like the way I can fit sweetness snugly in a brown shoebox. I like shopping local. And I like our blog readers. Very much.
10 comments:
What a great idea! If I did that in would be sending it to you!!!!! :)
oooh! fun game. i'll guess John Denver. -dinah
I love me some Johnny Cash! Lyrics from "A Boy Named Sue."
Beautiful pictures. Sophia can't get any sweeter than with her (your) bonnet on...love it.
Vincent's expression at the aquarium is priceless!
So glad you had this getaway with your sweet husband and children.
A Boy Named Sue...Johnny Cash! Loved the Gatlinburg pictures.
I'll just take a wild guess...a boy named sue by johnny cash...I don't know where I got that from!
Ok, I read the other comments. If I cheat can I still qualify for a giveaway?
Johnny Cash! Fun idea ;o)...Tell Sophia I absolutely love her hand-me-down bonnet--looks like y'all had a blast!!
What a fun vacation y'all had! And my only guess would be some Johnny Cash song ;).
I remember that bonnet! How cool. Your children are gorgeous!
I guess I'll go with the majority (I actually google searched just to be sure) but "Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash. Love keeping up with your blog, you're such a great writer, I feel like I'm sitting in your living room experiencing life with you (maybe we will be next year)!
Yep, Johnny's Boy Named Sue. I can picture Tony singing it now...
Post a Comment