Our little man is turning one year next Sunday! And I must admit, I'm amazed. And smitten by everything Vincent. Oh the joy he brings to our lives!
First is his Sweet Disposition. Around nine months of age he started patting us on the back. When we picked him up from the crib after a nap, from the highchair, from the floor. And the longer the separation the more enthusiastic the pat. It seems as if he's saying, "Hey! I've missed you. So, so, so good to see you." Sometimes he moves from the back to the face. Enthusiastically alternating between slapping and full open mouth kisses. Oh the joy that fills my heart to be the recipient of such love.
I think because of his sweet disposition (or maybe just because they are really nice people?) the nursery workers at church always greet us with a smile. When we dropped Vincent off last Sunday his nursery worker was surrounded by screaming infants. With panic in his eyes he asked the mother ahead of me to retrieve the director for extra help. As I filled out the intake form and handed Vincent over the frazzled worker's face was transformed by a genuine smile. "Oh, it's Vincent. That's my boy." Vincent just smiled with content into his eyes. Oh the joy that fills my heart when someone else delights in our little one.
Vincent's Play might be characterized as independent and physical. He enjoys a nice wrestle with his sister and daddy. And EVERYTHING is a drum. Toilet lids, chairs, tables, pans, the sides of the washer/dryer. Currently he is really into putting lids on things. If you need someone to match your Tupperware lids to bottoms, Vincent's your man. He may not make a perfect match but he will get an A+ for effort. Tonight when I walked into the kitchen he was placing Sophia's magnet letters neatly in the muffin pan, one for each muffin spot. And he's trying to perfect removing and re-attaching the child safety locks. This is a skill I am not encouraging... :) And finally outside play! Giddy. That's the word to describe Vincent on the slide. Oh the joy in watching his delight in and discovery of this world.
Lately Vincent has reached a few Milestones. He's mastered climbing up and down from Sophia's pink Harley chair. Which he does with such satisfaction and pride. And just tonight he took four steps between that exact chair and his daddy's outstretched arms. Grinning ear to ear. Vincent was so pleased and I think a little surprised by his victory. And finally I feel confident in reporting that Vincent is officially saying "Momma" and "Gu" (the latter in reference to his lovie, Gus the Guernsey cow). It's sporadic but meaningful. While witnessing these accomplishments, I am filled with such joy.
Now when it comes to Food Vincent has aroused in his mother a fair amount of anxiety. Never drinking more than 4 ounces of milk at a time, adamantly refusing baby food at 9 months of age, and several bouts with the stomach bug left me wringing my hands. Not really wringing. But almost. He turned a corner this last week with eating a larger quantity and variety of table/finger food. And he's even allowing me to sneak in a few spoonfuls of yogurt here and there. I will say this. His culinary appetite leans toward the South Texas fare as he can down a whole avocado in one sitting. And let's not blame dentition for his limited consumption. The boy currently has eight teeth. Well, I guess I will follow the doctor's prescription in this area. "It's your job to provide the quality. It's theirs to figure out the quantity." Yes I will even find joy in his picky eating. Because he is healthy and has yet, and hopefully will never, know hunger.
And finally his Personality. Yes Vincent has a sweet disposition but he can be quite determined. He knows what he wants and if you don't, he will fuss until you figure it out. If sister takes away his toy? Loud crying paired with agitated bouncing up and down on his bottom ensues. Want to change his diaper? Forget it. He's flipping over and laughing as he crawls away, unclean bottom and all. And finally he seems quite smitten with his family. He never moves faster than when his daddy walks in the door. And an instant smile is on his face when his sister walks in the room. The Morlandt house is quite full of personality these days. What unspeakable joy is found in discovering Vincent Laws Anthony's!

4 comments:
Oh Sarah, I just love this post. I see so many similarities between our two boys. I, too, can attest to the complete joy I have with raising my little boy.
Happy Birthday Vincent!!
Precious boy! Love this post. Such sweet observations from a mother. What a little love he is! Caris does the 'pat-pat' thing too :)
Happy one year!
p.s. loved your comment on my last post...
Beautiful writing Sarah to go with your beautiful little boy!
Love you,
Granddaddy and Grandmother
I can't believe he's already 1! He is such a precious boy!
Post a Comment