Saturday, April 10, 2010
"Here I am!"
Those are the words of Sophia as she bursts through the gate to greet her Jean Jean or through the doors at Mother's Day Out. Confident, joyous, and playful she proclaims the news that the party can begin. And with the exception of a few toddler moments, this is how Sophia lives her life. Here are a few other things that currently characterize Ana Sophia:
1. Loquacious - Let me tell you, the girl can talk. We've counted sentences up to 14 words long, peppered with words such as "humungous," "gigantic" and "spicy." She's also picked up a few phrases including "Of course you may!" and "I thought I would." The latter is usually said in response to being corrected. "I thought I would throw my cantaloupe to Daddy." And her prayers! She's not quite sure how to end them. So, at the dinner table they usually go something like this: "Dear God. Thank you for my daddy, my baby brother, my mommy, my milk, my chicken, my strawberries, my daddy, my mommy, my baby brother, my whole family all over the world (not sure where she got this one - maybe Bible Study Fellowship's Children's Program?), my daddy, my mommy..." You get the idea. To reign it in, Tony or I usually cut in with a loud "In Jesus' Name AMEN."
2. Mothering - Interestingly, Sophia mothers her stuffed animals more than her baby dolls. Talking to them. Singing them songs. Correcting them. But if she's in the room with a real baby? She abandons the stuffed toys to hug, kiss, and be silly with the baby saying,"Cootchie, cootchie, coo!"
3. Singing - Although Sophia will rarely sing on command, something we try not to ask her to do anyway, she is quite into singing. Currently she enjoys singing Bella Notte from Lady and the Tramp, Baby Mine from Dumbo (this she sings to one of her lovies while rocking back and forth) Holy, Holy, Holy (she learned this in Bible Study Fellowship), Because He Lives (her lullaby from birth), and Oh How I Love Jesus.
4. Social - There is nothing Sophia enjoys more than playing with other children. She is especially drawn to babies and children 3-4 years older than her. I'll be honest with you. I was slow to pick up on this aspect of Sophia's personality. But when Sophia was coming home having memorized the names of children in Mother's Day Out, Bible Study Fellowship, Sunday School, and random people we met in the park, I realized that she feeds off interacting with other children.
5. Lovies - Oh the lovies! Let's see.... It all began with lambie and puppy. She has now added a pink and white dog to the picture, who in a very uninspired moment I named "Clifford." No, he is not big or red. Puppy is a must during naps and bedtime. Clifford is a must when on the go. Clifford is more like a baby to her - the recipient of rocking and singing, scolding, and hugging. Puppy is a security item. He is trimmed in satin and interestingly she likes to pick on the satin with her fingernail, snagging it. She will also rub the satin under her nose when she is getting sleepy. And if Tony and I are singing to her or talking to her at night she will sometimes share puppy with us, rubbing him under our noses. Quirky and funny.
6. No fear. Rough and tumble. She can wrestle with the best of them. Including her friend Lawson, who seems convinced that he is Nacho Libre.
7. Clothes - The girl likes pink. And she likes to match. The criterion for matching? Her shoes. Everything must match the color of her shoes. If she is wearing pink shoes then she wants to wear a pink shirt. A blue shirt with a pink bird just will not do. Unfortunately this is one of the battles we are fighting right now. "Mommy picks what you wear. You do not." She's yet to be convinced.
8. Books, books, and more books. Books continue to be a favorite. I think this is why she talks as much as she does. She has an interest in language and learning from books. Currently she enjoys the Dinosaur series by Jane Yolen, the Monkey series by Eileen Cristelow, and Roar of a Snore by Marsha Diane Arnold.
9. Family Movie Night - So we started this about 3 months ago. Our reasons were twofold: 1. To introduce her to some of the children's movies we grew up with while screening them for content - fast forwarding through parts that are not age appropriate, etc. 2. To have quality family time that also allowed for rest. With Tony on call and working 10-12 hour work days this was a good way for us to be together and rest at the same time. So about once a week we pop popcorn, fill up a cup of M&Ms, and pull out a large quilt for us to snuggle under. Sophia's favorites so far? The Jungle Book, Cinderella, and of course, Lady and the Tramp.
10. Baby Brother - Sophia continues to grow in her relationship with her brother. She is truly a great big sister. She will ask, "Where's my little Vinny?" "I hear Vin crying. He's awake." "Ahhhh, baby brother." Lately they have started wrestling. Vincent collapses on her back and she gently knocks him over. Tickles him. Then he tries to steal her pacie and vice versa. And although there are turf wars, Sophia has learned to bring Vincent an alternative toy to play with and she has learned which of his toys are off limits. I pray that they will always be good friends and playmates.
Well, thanks for indulging me in allowing me to share a few things about this little girl I love so much. Ana Sophia, what a joy you are!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oh i love reading about her little personality!! she is such a cute little one.
Very cute! Now when I see Grandpa Carl, I can tell him I saw Sophia! What a proud grandpa he is! ;)
Nachooooooooo! I love Bella Note! We still talk about that.:)
Nachooooooooo! I love Bella Note! We still talk about that.:)
Thanks so much for sharing Sarah! Love the pictures and hearing about the kids!
"Oh, How I Love Jesus" was the boys' & my lullaby. :)
Post a Comment